Custom Installers: Control System/RS-232 programming

damonrpayne

I heard through the grapevine around here that a lot of the complex control systems for high end custom home theater installation (controlling all the various components through the RS-232 port and all that) can be hard to program for, and the going rate for a programmer to do that type of work can get up there.

Anyway, as a programmer who's done a lot of rs-232 work (though not for HT yet) I was thinking of trying to get some of of this work on the side, possibly at a shop who'd let me buy stuff @ cost in exchange for a reasonable bill rate. If anyone knows anything about this I'd be very appreciative.

Shops charge about $250/hour for custom programming. Don't know what they pay but good programmers who are extremely knowledgeable about the various products are always in demand. The manufacturers of automation and control systems run classes to teach programming of their products.

And now a word from our sponsor: The Zon products distributed by Klipsch are very simple to program via dragndrop approach.

Damon,

Our school uses Crestron products for multimedia/smart classroom systems. They charge a LOT. Pretty cool stuff though, with touch screens to control all the hardware. You can touch one button onscreen and the projector turns on, screen comes down, audio levels get set. Cool! Even the faculty can use it!

http://www.crestron.com/