Dynaco Mark III's -- what's their place in audio history?

Daddy Dee

Well, I continue to be amazed by the quality of sound coming out of the Mark III's driven by the Merlin. These Mark III's are reburbed, and spiffed up, but are basically stock with new quality (but not audiophile quality) parts.

I've been surprised to not have found more internet material on Mark III's. What amazes me further is that they were designed and sold in 1957.

There is something about the Mark III as stock that reminds me of PWK's Khorns. It's not that they can't be improved, they certainly can. There is a fair amount of material posted on this forum about precisely that. What gives me the smile factor on Khorns is how very good they sound stock. The price/quality ratio of stock is impressive. I could easily triple my investment in Khorns to implement popular mods in common conversation on the forum. I simply state this as an observation and appreciation for the genius of PWK in doing what he did at a price point. This is not do diminish or disrespect in any way folks who take their Khorns to the next level and beyond. I can sincerely appreciate that pursuit without it being my own cup of tea.

What I've been wondering about... is that I don't have a sense of Mark III's in the history of flow of developing audio gear.

I think 1957, wow, that is older than my 1959 HF-81's, older than any of the Scott 299 or 222's that I've had. It's older than the Fisher 500-B and 800-C.

From reading posts and internet sites, I think I've had kind of a sense of the flow in development of the Eico and Scott lines, also their place with Fisher in the homes of hifi enthusiasts... lots of whom built from kits.

The Mark III's though at 60 wpc (even if that is generously estimated) seem to stand out in the history (at least in my mind) but in what I've read, or haven't been able to find, I have just expected to see more. Perhaps I have just missed it and would appreciate any links to Dynaco history.

Who were the people who were adopting these amplifiers. Home hifi types? What kind of speakers would folks have driven with these? Were they available both as kit and factory wired?

Thanks in advance for sharing your take on these amps.

I've found this web site to contain intersting info on Dynaco history: http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/

I have the Dynaco ST-70 amp mated to a pair of Klipsch forte's. It is sad that they don't make stereo equipment like that anymore. I am glad I own a piece of Dynaco history.

I also prefer to listen to my Dynaco amp with the stock design, the sound is amazing expecially with Klipsch speakers.

Dynaco also produced speakers which from what I have read sound great. I have not had the pleasure of personally listening to a pair of Dynaco speakers.

the mkIII lived in the shadow of the ST-70 which turned out to be Dynaco´s most famous amplifier. the mkIII was a great amp, but it did not really break any new ground, it simply was a well built amp designed by ed laurent and david hafler. ed laurent went on to design the mkIV (my favorite dynaco amp) and the ST-35 which is a highly coveted el84 amp (perhaps the second most famous Dynaco amp). the site mentioned in the post above is the best source for Dynaco history. regards, tony

Dee,

A properly working Mark III will make pretty close to its 60 watts before any clipping is seen on the scope with the original circuit. When I rebuild them and modify them they actually make about 3 less watts. I get the operating voltages down to save the renowned short life of the stock style power supply in them without having to use one of those goofy cap boards with cheap minature electrolyes which limit the amount of filter that can be used for a complete upgrade. A stock Mark III will breifly hit 560V on start up which is way above the multi section cans rating. I would still love to see a under chassis photo of them babies. It's just a curiosity thing with me.

Craig