Anyone heard/tried the new Denon AVR-4802 receiver?

Kain

If so, how is it?

------------------

Home Theater (getting soon):

TV: Sony KV-ES34M80 (34" FD Trinitron WEGA)

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-5200

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (Hi-Fi VCR)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000 or Denon AVR-4802

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: None (Waiting for Klipsch RSW-15)

No one has heard it yet?

------------------

Speakers -

kain, yea i did go check it out though they had no klipsch at all to audition it. had to settle for some martin logan speakers. Biggrin.gif

i found it to be clear, clean & powerful as in pretty high current power. nice seperation & soundstage.

though i think i'll order it & use it as a preamp for the acurus 200X5 power amp i just got & use only the 4802 rear center amp module for 6.1.

talk about both new & old features. the 4802 has 'em!

really like that adjustable crossover where i can just switch out the crossover on my sub & cut the other 6 speaks at 60 or 40hz. that fixed 80hz w/ most av receivers is too high on the low end for my klf-30 & too high on the high end for my velo hgs-18 sub.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

(2)KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

Have you heard the Yamaha RX-V3000 also? If so, how do you think the two compare?

------------------

Speakers -

Not the 4802 just the 3801,4800 and 5800.

The 4800 series Denon recievers have very good built in amps,this is a big plus if you want to drive problematic speakers(low impedance).Since most(if not all)Klipsch speakers are easy loads then the power of the large Denon will enable you to let loose on the volume and still enjoy great sound,amp has plenty of power.

The 4802 looks to have a more high-end design,like the 5800.The 5800 has a more efortless presentation,the internal amps have guts.And very few recievers have amps with guts.The 4802 should be very near the 5800 in terms of sound quality and features.The 5800 has more in and outs on the back panel.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

the 4802 has some newer features even than the 5800. like an adjustable crossover down to 60 or 40hz from that dreaded 80hz thx standard. also dolby prologic II

which could be great for digital cable tv. all the new

bells & whistles for formats. like the 5800 it has 7 powered channels.

only reason i haven't jumped on it is the preamp quality for those 5 channels to an acurus A200X5.

keep thinking a seperate preamp will come out w/ better

sound & all the same features as the 4802. but any preamp/processor seperate that comes close is twice the price, plus then i'd need another amp for the 6th channel.

probably need to hook up a 4802 to the acurus & find out. theears, think i'd have any sound problem using a denon as a preamp for 5 channels to the acurus?

thanks for the heads up theears i will make history right here Biggrin.gif

yes i've been griping about that set crossover of around 80hz on most receivers. 2high for my HGS-18 on the high end & 2low for the klf-30 & cornwalls on the low end. kinda disappointed it's global though & not for each channel but hey at least they're trying.

so u think that 4802 would sound good as a preamp for the acurus? not too noisy as a preamp w/ a good power amp.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

(2)KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

Kain,

I just purchased a 4802 and hooked it up to my system about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I am extremely impressed.

I converted my upstairs game room to a dedicated home theater with a 110" Stewart grayhawk screen and a Sony VPL-VW10HT. My downstairs system consisted of Klipsch Chorus II mains and a KLF-C7 center driven by a Yamaha RXV-2095. I have always been very happy with this combination so I moved my speakers and reciever to my new dedicated home theater along with some new RB-5's for my surrounds and was still very pleased with the sound. Well I then got the upgrade bug since I needed a new receiver for my downstairs system so I first bought a RXV-3000 for the new dedicated home theater upstairs with the 2095 going downstairs. This was my 4th Yamaha AV receiver. I have 3 others that still work great.

The first RXV-3000 that I brought home from Tweeter had center channel problems so I exchanged it for another. The second one had audio dropout problems as did the third one with my Sony 9000ES DVD player. I also noticed that the dialog from my center channel just didn't seem right anymore. So I ordered and replaced both my tweeter diaphram and my crossover in my KLF-C7. After going thru three 3000's I finally upgraded to a RX-V1 (which now lists for $400 dollars less than the Denon 4802). The RX-V1 upgrade fixed the dropout problem but I still noticed that the center channel didn't sound quite right. I would find myself missing words here and there in movies which never happend before the upgrade.

I finally unhooked my 2095 from my downstairs system and did an A-B comparison between it and the V1. The A-B comparison yielded some interesting results. The RX-V1 clearly sounded better on music using it's internal DAC's vs the 2095 but dialog from the 2095 was much clearer and more natural sounding -- I didn't have a center channel speaker problem at all it was just the way the new Yamaha's sounded. The V1 is not "bright" at all. In fact it sounds very dull to me on dialog like the voices are comming out of a hole or something. I think this is a speaker dependant thing. Bottom line is I don't like the sound of the new Yamaha's for movies with my Klipsch.

I then brought home a new Denon AVR-4802 to compare to the Yamaha. No comparison on movies. The dialog on the Denon is much clearer than the RX-V1 or RXV-3000 and even slightly clearer than my older RXV-2095. On music however the RX-V1 does sound better than the 4802. Also the RX-V1 build quality appears to be better but my main application is home theater, therefore the Denon wins. Plus the Yamaha's dialog shortfalls are much greater than the difference in music quality between the two IMO. It is taking me a little getting used to the Denon after using Yamaha for all of these years but I am extremely impressed and happy with it's performance. I recommend it highly over the new Yamaha's (with Klipsch speakers). The Denon's DPLII is also a major improvement vs standard DPL. Now I'm looking at buying 4 RS-3's to balance out my surround duties with the Denon.

Bob

RMcKenny enjoy the Denon

Yes the big Yamaha recievers do sound better on music,on movies the large Denon recievers take the win.

Since a reciever is for HT most of the time I prefer Denon recievers too.And its no weakling on music.

When paired with a external amps(in my case Celeste)the Denon sounds great on anything.Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears