rearranging my listening room...

TommyC

Last night, after becoming frustrated listening to the baseball game,I decided to play withthe possitioning of my speakers. For reference, my smallish room is 11X14 that is 7'6" high and slopes down to 6'6" high over the last 18" on each end. (the short walls are 6'6" tall) The Heresy's are on one of the short walls. I had tried moving them around some without being really impressed by the differences, so I just tucked them into the corners and ledt them that way. The were 12" from the side wall and 11" from the rear wall basically for symmetry with the gear rack. Last night I got creative and moved the speakers way out. I Finally heard a difference! They are currently over 4 feet from the rear wall and 3 feet from the side walls and I can Definitly hear a pronounced difference. I don't pretend to understand things like room modes and such, but I assume they are part of the reason for the big difference... Correct?

room modes would be the reason for bass related sounds.

pulling your speakers out away from the walls and specifically closer to you reduces the number of reflections and reduces the relative magnitude of those reflections. (The reflections that end up arriving at the listening position have to travel a further distance and therefore are quieter and arrive later, resulting in a cleaner direct sound).

TommyC,

Keep up the good work! As you have just discovered, speaker placement has a big effect. You are definitely on the right path.

It can be frustrating because it requires a great deal of experimentation and it will be further confounded by changes in room treatment (as simple as drapes being open or closed, area rugs, re-arranging furniture, wall hangings etc). However, this is exactly where real, audible differences are to be gained (put away the fancy speaker wire ....)

My suggestion is to get a small number of well-recorded CDs and listen to them on your system and other systems and get a very good ear for the sound of the different instruments. After this try re-arranging the speaker location and listening chair. There are many things that will change the sound, the trick is to how to best decide if the change is actually an improvement.

Good luck, these manipulations will make real differences and cost a lot less than esoteric things likes expensive cables, line conditioners, etc.

-Tom