SVS auto-on and other questions

Kriton

I just picked up an SVS 20-39PC+, and I have been spednign a lot of time dialing it in, and it appears to kick some fanny.

My question(s) are these: Anyone have any problem with the auto-on feature of their sub? I would like to leave the auto-on switched on, and leave it, but I have been having a hard time getting the sub to turn on...and yes, I have the sub signal from my pre-amp turned up pretty high, so I don't think that is it?

Also, when the sub is on...I put in a two channel classical CD and in portions of the cd where there should'nt have been any bass (Barber's Adagio for Strings - the high string sections), there was a very deep continuous rumble from the sub. It only happened when the CD was actually playing, other wise the sub was completely silent.

I have only noticed this on this one cd...or is it my system?

Any ideas?

K

I usually leave the 2039+ on Auto unless I'm listening to soft music for quite a while (few hours). Generally listening to music softly I'll turn up the volume to kick on the auto feature then turn it back down.

Of course keeping it on all the time wont hurt anything either.

----------------

On 8/13/2005 5:16:43 PM Kriton wrote:

I just picked up an SVS 20-39PC+, and I have been spednign a lot of time dialing it in, and it appears to kick some fanny.

My question(s) are these: Anyone have any problem with the auto-on feature of their sub? I would like to leave the auto-on switched on, and leave it, but I have been having a hard time getting the sub to turn on...and yes, I have the sub signal from my pre-amp turned up pretty high, so I don't think that is it?

Also, when the sub is on...I put in a two channel classical CD and in portions of the cd where there should'nt have been any bass (Barber's Adagio for Strings - the high string sections), there was a very deep continuous rumble from the sub. It only happened when the CD was actually playing, other wise the sub was completely silent.

I have only noticed this on this one cd...or is it my system?

Any ideas?

K

----------------

I have the same sub as you. The output from your receiver may need turned up to have the auto feature work correctly. You can just plain turn up the volume and it should kick on.

As far as little to no bass reach under the sub and touch the woofer when soft music is playing and feel if it is moving at all. Also check what the crossover point is set at ( It comes from 2 places receiver and sub ). Remember, correct bass from a sub should be blended well with the mains and subtle. If you can close your eyes and clearly preceive where the sub is then it is dialed too hot. When I fist got my SVS I was running it like a boom box it was fun but not true bass. If you have a SPL meter I think you would be amazed at the readings even though your ears can't hear it.

You are both right...I turned down the gain on the sub and turned up the db on the gain on my pre and it appears to be coming on by itself with out too much problem...

I listen to a lot of classical music at fairly low volumes, and I am interested in getting some of the bass support for the low sections, however soft.

I am hearing things with this sub I never knew existed, and it has been like listening to all of my pretty extensive selection of movies all over again. I watched Titanic last night, and while the story lingers a bit, the effects of that ship breaking apart were stellar.

Thanks for the replies guys,

K

I also listen to classical. I just went to the Pittsburgh symphony and I was surprised at the lack of bass that I felt even though I was only 15 rows back from the orchestra. I can't remember exactly right now but I think the lowest bass note out of a symphony is something like 50HZ.

Hey, thanks for the reply...I know what you mean, I put in some Mahler and it blew me away, pretty vicious stuff when you really get to hear it done right...

Have you ever had that rumbling in any of your music that I mention above?

IT really irritated me, and I am hoping that I don't have something misconfigured...but I have not been able to recreate it...

K

----------------

On 8/15/2005 5:54:28 PM Kriton wrote:

Have you ever had that rumbling in any of your music that I mention above?

IT really irritated me, and I am hoping that I don't have something misconfigured...but I have not been able to recreate it...

K

----------------

I heard that exact same thing from my PB12+2. It seemed like it only happened with certain CD's/DVD's. Once in a while I would get that similar low rumble. I called SVS after hearing it several times and they said it was most likely due to a faulty amplifier (this was approaching 2 years after purchase). They shipped a new amp overnight to me with easy to follow replacement instructions. It took about 15 min to replace and I've never experienced the problem since. Talk about good service.

Sounds like you have the same problem. Give them a call. It did only rumble occasionally (maybe only a few times in 6 months), however that was enough to iritate me as well.2.gif