Tannoy Westministers HE--How do they compare

RAPTORMAN

I went to purchase a pair of Khorns back in December, and the seller had a pair of Tannoys in beautiful walnut cabinets for $400. I didn't know much about them at the time, but a listen told me they were certainly worth $400. They are the Monitor Gold 15" speakers.

The seller had them hooked up to a 80's vintage Yamaha megawatt amp (the khorns too!) and when I hooked them up to my Scott 208 they were pure sweetness.

My kid now has them in his tiny room (way too small to let the Tannoys breath) and listens primarily to hip hop / rap, etc.

I think they present an image as well as the Khorns do, but that's about it. Dynamics, frequency response , efficiency, etc. ... the Khorns win. I have to agree with Allan Songer in that the Tannoys present (LOUD) blues and rock much better than the Khorns or Cornwalls (for ME, that is).

There are sites out there that deal with the various cabinets available for these, and some of them are complex out the wazoo!

Woo

FWIW...

Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenburg was an enthusiastic supporter of horns and tubes, a real fan of Klipsch, a personal friend of PWK and a general all around wonderful guy who knew more about audio than I could ever hope to learn.

His personal favorites were the Westministers, though he believed they required a *HUGE* room to really sound their best.

----------------

On 8/15/2005 9:01:37 AM Piranha wrote:

On 8/13/2005 10:18:32 AM garymd wrote:

----------------

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

Not really. I've heard most of the older Mac tube amps, just not the 275s. The ones I thought sounded best were the 30s. JMHO.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif"> Not folklore.

BTW - I agree with Craig that MkIIIs done up right and his VRDs blow away the Mac stuff. Not even close.

----------------

Allan, I respectfully disagree. I listen to rock and I prefer the sound I get out of my Cornwall's to both the III-LZ and the Monitor Red 12's (those are the only Tannoy's I have heard in order to compare). I am glad I do since the Tannoy's cost much more. Don't get me wrong, the Tannoys do sound good, they just don't do it for me like my CW's do.

Maybe it's your amps or source?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif"> j/k

----------------

Tom,

Why bring me into this! Not even the same thread 9.gif

PLUS, I've never heard Tannoys in my life! I think I saw a pair at Allan's but I don't recall if he played them for us or not. Is that what was in your wife's system in the back room?

Anyway, I hear they can sound a little grainy.2.gif

Those Tannoys thump pretty good when my wife gets the Snoop and Dre pumping! Yesterday I came home and she was CRANKING the latest Steve Earl album. Although I really, really love the SENTIMENT of this album, the music leaves me a bit cold. We are going to hear Steve Earl next month at UCLA. My wife is VERY excited about this. Anyone here heard this LP called "The Revolution Starts Now." Pretty powerful stuff.

----------------

On 8/14/2005 11:13:43 AM RAPTORMAN wrote:

I also found out that this company has been around since 1929. I've heard of them all the time--but I don't really see this company in CES shows--or I just missed it. Just curious
1.gif1.gif

----------------

Tannoy is a British company. I don't think that they make the "big" stuff anymore (the GRH and Autograph, etc.), but others do.

Tannoy stuff link

DM

----------------

On 8/15/2005 10:54:04 AM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 8/15/2005 9:01:37 AM Piranha wrote:

On 8/13/2005 10:18:32 AM garymd wrote:

----------------

9.gif"

Not really. I've heard most of the older Mac tube amps, just not the 275s. The ones I thought sounded best were the 30s. JMHO.
2.gif"
Not folklore.

BTW - I agree with Craig that MkIIIs done up right and his VRDs blow away the Mac stuff. Not even close.

----------------

Allan, I respectfully disagree. I listen to rock and I prefer the sound I get out of my Cornwall's to both the III-LZ and the Monitor Red 12's (those are the only Tannoy's I have heard in order to compare). I am glad I do since the Tannoy's cost much more. Don't get me wrong, the Tannoys do sound good, they just don't do it for me like my CW's do.

Maybe it's your amps or source?
2.gif"
j/k

----------------

Tom,

Why bring me into this! Not even the same thread 9.gif

PLUS, I've never heard Tannoys in my life! I think I saw a pair at Allan's but I don't recall if he played them for us or not. Is that what was in your wife's system in the back room?

Anyway, I hear they can sound a little grainy.2.gif

----------------

Because I loved your comparison of the Mark III's & VRD's to the Mac stuff.