Future owner of new Khorns looking for recommendations

Huck

Hi: Looks like I will be buying brand new Khorns in about 8 months, once I save my Twonies.Can't seem to find any used Khorns in Canada, so gonna have to go new.I will be starting a two channel setup and I would like to try redbook c.d. that hooks straight into the amp(not decided which one yet),this will have to have a volume control,as no pre-amp will be used! I have located one brand, that being a Cary308.Any others to consider? I would rather go with a non tube player and redbook only, please! Thanks, Huck

Don't know how close you are to the US border but you might be able to find a pair close to the Canada/US border. I know the taxes would be high but it would probably cost less than new.

However speaking from personal experience it was really fun to be the first person to own a pair of 2004 La Scalas. Had a huge grin on my face after taking them out of the boxes!! If your budget can handle new then get em!! If it would be hard to do look for a pair in the US close to you.

Xman

A simple attenuator could be used in place of the variable level outs on the CD deck. There are well regarded DIY kits around, and if you don't want to bother building one, I'd imagine a decent tech would wire one up for not too much dough. If you want a remote, there are those, too.

New Klipschorns... sweet...

While you are saving up your money keep checking eBay, Audiogon, Canuck Audio Mart and any other site you can think of for KHorns in NY State, northern Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc... A pair of two should come up in the next three to four months. Be patient.

Don

Huck, I said to be patient as look what I just found in Erie, Pennsylvania. Not too far away, 96 miles to Buffalo. My guess is about a two hour drive each way including customs for substantial savings.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KLIPSCH-CLASSIC-K-B-WO-CORNER-HORN-SPEAKER-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ5798864626QQcategoryZ61378QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah, Erie's an easy shot down I90. I'd check to make sure precisely where he is. I went to pick up some speakers once, and the guy was over an hour past where the listing said he was. Turned a 6hr trip into 8+.

Those are 71s, and look pretty nice.

My favorate simple and pure Redbook CD set ups:

Meridian 500 CD transport (or any other reasonable DVD or CD player with digital output) -> Meridian 518 Digital Attenuator (with system remote for volume control) -> Bel Canto DAC 2 -> HK Citation II -> Khorns.

Even simpler,

Meridian 500 CD transport -> Benchmark DAC1 (with a front volume knob but no remote) -> HK Citation II -> Khorns.

Ki