H/K Citation 11 amp?

Soundthought

Hello all.

Does anyone know anything about this amp?

I'm having a tough time aquiring any info related to this piece of equipment.

The H/K website only seems to list the matching pre-amp (or I would assume it is, anyway.), but no amp by that number.

It does look like a Citation 23/24? or something of that nature.

The front face has a curious looking vertically oriented LED power display, like later models from the citation line.

If anyone could enlighten me about this, I would be greatly appreciative.

I have an opportunity to trade some gear for it, but i'm really hesitant given the fact that I know nothing of this particlar piece.

Thanks. :)

Regards,

John

"Does anyone know anything about this amp?"

The Citation 11 is a preamp.

"I'm having a tough time aquiring any info related to this piece of equipment.

The H/K website only seems to list the matching pre-amp (or I would assume it is, anyway.), but no amp by that number."

Barking up the wrong tree.

The 60W Citation 12 was the power amp that matched the Citation 11 preamp. The Citation 12 Delux had a brushed aluminum front panel and a walnut case.

The 150W Citation 16 was the first one to have the 'V' shaped LED display. Later the 100W Citation 19 had a similar display.

A Citation 16S has no display (S for stripped).

The Citation 12 is an excellent amp for Klipschorns - dual mono design, a good turn of power, but not an excessive amount, not as edgy and bright as a lot of its contemporaries. At the time some reviewers considered it superior sounding to the McIntosh 250. (That should get some hackles raised...)

The down side - you almost certainly should get it serviced. The rubber grommets under the transformers, which, I understand, kept hum vibrations from resonating the chassis, have almost certainly gone brittle. Some Citations were kits, so the quality of whoever was wielding the soldering iron comes into question. Finally, the Citation 12 can have some ferocious turn on and off "thumps." Not much of a problem with, say a Dalhquist 10, but with a Klipschorn, can sound like cannon fire.

The Citation line is a considerable bargain these days and has been pretty much overlooked. The 12s on ebay go for between $40 and $160 or so. The preamps are even cheaper, and although a bit noisy, have a rather useful equalizer on them. All in all, kind of forgotten gems.

Just re-read the first post. If you're thinking about that one on ebay, I'd avoid it. I don't believe "Most of the lights come on." and the "big red light blinking" are good signs. For that matter, neither is the business about "having been black but someone tried to clean it off." This might have been through a fire.

Alright......

I'm an idiot.

The correct model number is 19.

9.gif

My apologies.

For whatever reason, I wrote down 11.

Makes a little more sense, now.

ha ha.

jokes on me.9.gif

So anyway....

What can you all tell me about this monster model 19.

Is it a keeper, or a weeper?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

The sale is local and I would be trading the equivalent of about $300-$400 worth of gear.

Regards,

John.