OT - Value Village KEF find

Myhamish

We were into a Value Village on Monday and I saw these heavy large walnut veneered speakers with a gaudy '60's grill cloth. Two other guys were circling around like vultures watching over my shoulder as I checked them out.

I tipped one to look at the back and saw a good dual banana plug connector and figured these could be something. On removing the grill which was velcroed on, I found an oval woofer which told me that these were KEF drivers. They have the T27 tweeter, the B110 midrange and the very interesting B139 oval shaped woofers.

Then I had to wait for Paddy to wander down to my end of the store and go out and get a shopping cart, as the other guys were pretending to look at stuff just waiting for me to leave them even for a second. Finally Paddy showed up, I slugged them into the cart, through the cash and out to the car.

So the setup is similar to the KEF Cantatas, but this is a much larger Heathkit version from the early '70's. I got them for $47.50 ($20 each plus tax) and brought them home and tested them with some old gear. On removing the gaudy grill cloth, I found the original black still underneath in excellent shape only with the logos missing. So a light sanding and some tung oil should brighten them up.

With the old gear, they sound surprisingly nice and really reach down to the bottom.

I used to have different KEF's before I got my first Heresy's and still use their B200 12" drivers in my two subs.

When I get a chance to play around a little more, I might try them with both subs as a two channel setup.

Anyway, it's always nice to hear someone here finding a little gem now and then. I guess this was my turn. Hamish

Sometimes these rare gems some of us find are not always Klipsch products. That's okay...you know KEF and you're happy with your latest find. For less than $50 in their current condition, you surely couldn't go wrong. Congrats!

Good story about the thrift store.

Isn't that just the way it is?

Timing is everything.

I've been one of the vultures cursing fellows like yourself who beat me to the punch.

Heh...

He who eats the fastest, gets the mostest.9.gif

It's things like this that make this hobby so much fun. IMO.

Good find!

Congrats.

Regards,

John