Vinyl Rocks!!

delano

Hey,

I bought a used Thorens td145 MKII and it is in mint shape and built very solid. It has some weight to it. I spoke to a audio guy at one of my favourite shops and he told me that this table came out about 20 years ago or so and with a half decent cartridge would compare to a 1-2 thousand dollar new table. It is just incredible. I am in love with my system all over again.

Delano

I had a Thorens TD-160C. IIRC the TD-145 is almost identical with the addition of auto arm lift at the end of the LP.

The suspension isn't anything to write home about as far as isolation, and the arm is fairly high mass. The later model arms moved the headshell/tonearm connection back near the pivot to help some. Same amount of mass but less polar moment. A lot of people at the time were buying those turntables and replacing the tonearm with something better.

Be careful if you remove the headshell to install a new cartridge. The headshell/tonearm pin and socket connection setup, specifically the socket assembly, is ultra fragile. And I wouldn't try to use any high compliance cartridge with it.

The Thorens was considered one of the great audiophile tunrtables back in the day, but mine was such a PITA I ended up buying a Sony Biotracer to replace it which I still have...