Hanging with Montreal Klipschers...

formica

I got to spend an enjoyable evening spinning some tunes and chewing the fat at Kudret's place this past Saturday night. He was a great host, and I ended up drinking a lot of his beer and blabbing away. Amazingly we have a similar selection of Klipsch Heritage, and only live about 30min away from each other.

For those who don't know, Kudret should be referred to as AmpMan... given the number of amps he's has and had. Great selection of classics. We did most our listening through a very beautiful pair of Jean-François Lessard 8W PP tube amp into his walnut Klipschorns. I walked away with a better understanding of SS and tube amps as well as insights into the arguments in those SET vs PP threads, as he also has a pair of Welborne SET amps.

On the other end of the same room, he has his HT using a front array of Cornwalls and Heresy on a SS Anthem amp.

I got to expose Kudret and David (another audio friend who dropped by) to some unconventional system testing CDs I brought along. I have to admit these are very dynamic... therefore made those tubes work very hard. I truly enjoyed hearing them back-to-back on the HT (with sub) as well ... as it showed how much sub 35Hz material there was on them.

The tubes really showed off their stuff on an instrumental audiophile SACD recording Kudret had. As much as we all would like a perfection in our system, the original recording really is the weakest link for both vinyl and CD.

All is all, it was a great time... and it would be neet to repeat a similar event with some additional local members 1.gif

Rob

----------------

On 8/22/2005 3:52:42 PM sunnysal wrote:

You should have called Jeff, he only lives a few mintues from Kudret, mais non? tony

----------------

Make that a couple of hours, Montreal traffic jams not included. It took me often less time to drive from Quebec City to the bridges to Montreal Island (approx 250 km) than to cross those freakin bridges...

----------------

On 8/22/2005 4:21:34 PM Painful Reality wrote:

Make that a couple of hours, Montreal traffic jams not included. It took me often less time to drive from Quebec City to the bridges to Montreal Island (approx 250 km) than to cross those freakin bridges...

----------------

Yeah, it would make it awfully far for just a round trip. It takes me about 2-1/2hours to get to the "vieux" Quebec from my place... and Kudret is about 30min further. OTOH, if you happen to be headed to Montreal at some point, let us know.

Nice amp BTW, and Kudret did a great job building it.

Rob

PS: I hate the bridges too, that is why I live "on" the Island... 1.gif takes me 8min to get to work.

----------------

On 8/22/2005 10:41:35 PM formica wrote:

Yeah, it would make it awfully far for just a round trip. It takes me about 2-1/2hours to get to the "vieux" Quebec from my place... and Kudret is about 30min further. OTOH, if you happen to be headed to Montreal at some point, let us know.

Nice amp BTW, and Kudret did a great job building it.

Rob

PS: I hate the bridges too, that is why I live "on" the Island...
1.gif
takes me 8min to get to work.

----------------

There is no way I would live on the South Shore or in Laval. I'm a city dweller so the Island is the only place I'd live actually, on the Plateau preferably. Or near the Atwater market.

I'm quite regularly in Montreal as I need my fix of Schwartz on a frequent basis. I need to go to the used vinyl shops also (especially Disquivel, Beatnick and Alternative).

Kudret did a really nice job indeed building his Seths.

----------------

On 8/23/2005 12:52:39 AM Painful Reality wrote:

I'm quite regularly in Montreal as I need my fix of Schwartz on a frequent basis. I need to go to the used vinyl shops also (especially Disquivel, Beatnick and Alternative).

Kudret did a really nice job indeed building his Seths.

----------------

We'll email you then if we do it again... who knows if it'll match up with your schedule. 2.gif

Rob

Hi Rob,

It was nice to have you and David over. We had lots of fun and we should try to get together more often, and hopefuly with Jeff next time. I am particularly interested in hearing Jeff's Euridice with my SETH amps.

As I suspected, Sony CDP was the weakest link in my setup. It was unforunate that we didn't use the Panasonic RP91 as the CD player. I swapped the RP91 for the Sony later and noticed some improvement. A better CDP is going to be my next purchase.

Speaking of my vintage amps, I visited a friend of mine Monday night and brought along my Scott 299. We listened to his Krell (KSA10S, DSP MK II CDP, and Krell pre??) and Proac Signature 3 speakers first. I was amazed at the clarity and the control I was hearing throug the Proacs while I felt warmth was lacking a little - a very respectable setup nevertheless. Then we hooked up Scott 299 to the Krell CDP (probably the best source it's seen in its 45 years of life) and my friend was totally impressed with what he was hearing from Scott 299. This time control was lacking a little but the sweetnes of the vocals more than made up for it. We decided to try Scott 299C next time to see if 299C would be better in driving the Proacs.

Overall a very fun weekend.

Kudret