LS test track

I started sorting out the garage the other day and have been making some mods. Getting things sorted out for some nice A/B testing. Here's what's on the Test Track for this month...

Industrial LaScalas. I have the double bass bin LS in the garage. They are all original except one set of horns is rope caulked, one is not. Can you tell the difference?

LSBR. I ordered two of Bob Crites A/AA crossover units. They look like modern sculpture- I feel like leaving them ON TOP of the cabinets they are so cool and space-age looking. Anyway, one unit will get the new ' dividing network' one will remain stock. C'mon over and give it a listen.

The LSBR's are in my hearth room alongside my Cornwalls, so here's a chance to hear the BEASTS next to each other.

I've got some Niles boxes around so will try to wire everything up so it's a simple A/B.

Will try to leave things in this configuration for a month or so. So if anyone wants to stop in and take the challenge, the Test Track is open for business! I'll not make any online evaluations until that time. Please do likewise. Although this will not be scientifically accurate test, I'd like for any and all visitors to have a go without any preconceived bias. You will not be told which is the modified cabinet, just asked for your opinions.

Coming up soon, various drivers in Heresy boxes... Perhaps K33 vs K43 in LS bass bins.

Michael

Thanks for posting Anakin, sorry about the flight. We'll give a report of findings after a few visitors have been through. I'd hope to have IndyKlipschFan, Trey, DrWho, possibly BSbutton, BillH, and Picky over some time. Anyone want to have a go, msg me.

This means I'll have to get busy and get the house cleaned up. It is supposed to be a home, not a speaker laboratory!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the verdict from day one of the testing. I had brought my LSBR's into the hearth room and arranged it so that a LS was directly to the left of each CW main. That is the order was LS, CW, rack LS, CW. This was so that there would be similar room effects for each cabinet and no pair would have wider imaging than the other. They were hooked up the the main A and B outputs of my Yamaha RXV2400 receiver. We used the 2ch mode that bypasses all tone controls and the built in parametric YPAO. In other words, electrically flat.

At first, we used no volume control to equalize for the efficiency differences. Later we decided to accomodate the 6 db difference and used the front panel -db indicators to accomplish this. It was verified by the RS db meter. Most listening was around -20 or -14 db on the Yammie, which corresponded to about 85 db at listening position.

Note must be taken that all speakers are entirely original. No rope caulk or crossover mods whatsoever. I wanted to put Bob's AA's in and have another A/B listen to LS AA/LS AL but time did not allow for that combination. Next time for sure!

BillH from Terre Haute was present as was Roger (IndyKlipschFan), and myself. We were seated adjacent to each other in the coaster recliners. Took turns playing DJ and listening.

A variety of CD and DVD sources were used. Bill is more classical fan, Roger vocal pop, and I'm the rocker of the bunch, so the tests ran the gamut. I'm just now reshelving so can tell you that here was the listening list:

Diana Krall- Look of Love and Look into your Eyes

Holst Planets Nat'l Orchestra of France

Kim Pensyl- Three Day Weekend

Miles Davis- Blue Note Years

Pink Floyd- Delicate sound of Thunder

Finding Nemo

Kill Bill II

Whole Lotta Blues- Songs of Led Zeppelin

There was no clear concensus other than on vocal and piano music like Diana Krall, the LS seemed to be more natural on voice and piano. On recordings with any amount of serious low frequency information at all, the group perferred the Cornwalls. There seemed to be a 'tubbiness' to the upper lf ranges of the LS as well.

I think overall the Cornwall has a smoother sound per our sampling, but the LS mid was much preferred. At no point was the CW/Yamaha combination harsh, brash, honky, or any of the other descriptors I have heard for either the speaker or the receiver.

In defense of Roger's planned 7 LS HT rig, he will be utilizing the THX sub system for lower octave (s). He has enough cabinets to fully experiment with either setup. I think the LS will be preferable for him for movies, but suggested that a pair of CW's for pure music listening might be a good keeper.

We all agreed that the much lauded CornScala would indeed be the best of both worlds. So much congratulations to those who have tamed that mythical beast.

We did discover with the YPAO out that one of my CW's had a definite deficiency. whether this is a crossover or connector problem is not known. What is interesting is that the YPAO could tweak the speaker enough that we couldn't hear the difference with it engaged in the circuit. But in bypass mode one channel was definitely weak.

It was a lot of fun guys. Come on over and give a listen if anyone wants. I'm going to keep this setup for a while. Will get an AA in a LS, and also hook up a pair of Heresies in the same room in the upcoming weeks. This all coincides nicely with the Heritage gathering.

So many speakers, so little time....

Michael

Part B of testing was quite accidental and occured yesterday.

My main rack and listening room is right next to the garage. I had the garage LSI (with double bass bin) hooked up out there and accidentally pressed both A and B switches, which turned on the Cornwalls inside. So just by walking around, I could A/B without pressing any buttons. There was very short time lag between room A and room B.

Now this isn't scientific, because they were in different rooms, with LS 'breathing' to the outdoors, but as I was moving stuff yesterday, passing in and out of the garage/house all day, I noticed with EVERY SONG that I enjoyed the sound of the Cornwalls much more. The low bass was just so full and deep. The LS seemed forward, honky (although rope caulked and this was moderate listening levels). Cornwall was just more smooth response, more musical. Sure LS was louder, great for PA, but not fine listening imho.

Just wanted to add this latest development.

Michael

Michael,

Interesting that you described your K400/K401 as "honky". I said the same thing in my Cornscala dbb posting. I pulled that word out of the sky when I was trying to describe what I was hearing. Nice to know I wasn't crazy. It is very hard to describe "sounds" in words.

I never noticed this when the K401 were in my La Scalas. Maybe my ears are more critical now.

Here is something you should do if you want to compare the K600 to the K400 and forget about the bass for a minute. Play a song that has a lot of piano or saxophone. Not just some "background" instruments but songs where those instruments are the key part of the song. My K401 really shines there.

jc

That's exactly what we noted with the Diana Krall. That piano sounds like it's IN THE ROOM with you with the 400's. Not quite so live with the 700's. But when the band kicked in, acoustic bass was just thin and 'tubby' with the LS, whereas the Cornwall really shone.

I'm thinking more and more how you're really onto something. Since I'm a bass lover, I might just build up a set of those double bass bin CS's.

Michael

I'm thinking more and more how you're really onto something. Since I'm a bass lover, I might just build up a set of those double bass bin CS's.

Let me know if you need help, I've been dying to hear them [;)] Speaking of which, when am I going to be making it down your way? Ready for that wiring job and did you back out of all those other speaker deals yet? [;)]

That's exactly what we noted with the Diana Krall. That piano sounds like it's IN THE ROOM with you with the 400's. Not quite so live with the 700's. But when the band kicked in, acoustic bass was just thin and 'tubby' with the LS, whereas the Cornwall really shone.

Michael

Guys, the Cornscalas was a big win. You can see why by what has been mentioned above and over and over again on this BBS. There was always that Corn vs La Scala thing. There was the usual one had an advantage over the other...as you just mentioned.

The CS dbb project isn't really that much more of an expense. Just two more woofers, two inductors, and a little more wood. You just need the space of a Khorn w/o a corner requirement. I listen to them all the time now. Showed them off at a small party at my house Saturday night. There was a lot of jaw dropping. The Bass IS the Cornwall Bass. I know you guys would love em. Couldn't ever take them to a "gathering" because they are so heavy. I guess I could hire someone to do it. You could always come to Georgia and listen to them. Maybe one day on your way to Atlanta or the Beach.