Cryo-genic TUBEs ???

Born2RockU

Shouldn't be that difficult to setup a test for this. Take a matched pair, or quad as needed - freeze half, keep half and then do a double blind test to see if you can hear the difference.

If it fails then it is in good company. Cables always seem to (cryogenically treated or not), as do similarly powered SS amps with benign loads and within their operating limits.

Now if you could keep your tubes frozen - even whilst running - that would make a difference for sure. Get them cold enough and their internal resistance drops to near zero (super-conductors).

Of course you would never be able to hear the music over the sound of the refridgeration plant but you can't have everything.

Retained differences once warmed up? Well for metals there are changes for sure, but as others have stated, no real evidence of a sonic improvement. Might be a slight change - might even be for the worse FAIK.

Otherwise I am with Dean on this one - can't see it doing anything other than shortening the life.

Oh - and Klipsch speakers are anything but an easy load (especially Heritage). Just take a look at their impedance charts.

Now I am off to pop my amps into the freezer for a while.

----------------

On 8/24/2005 9:47:09 PM DeanG wrote:

I can't think of a faster way to stress a tube -- ice it and then expose it to room temperature.

"If you are using Klipsch speakers do not worry about fancy amps (the cabinets are efficient and present an easy load for an amp."

Just because a speaker is efficient doesn't mean it presents an "easy" load. All of the stock networks present fairly reactive loads to an amplifer, and my personal opinion is that they present anything but an "easy" load for an amp. No, you don't need a "fancy amp", but you should probably make sure you have one that delivers flat response while being presented with large swings in impedance. No big deal with solid state, but tube users need to choose wisely.

----------------

Dean,

We probably do not have a major disagreement here. My context is that folks seem to spend a great deal of energy / money on the particulars that do not matter as much (proper speaker set up vs mystical cryo-treated speaker wire ...).

However, I am sure you will agree that an efficient speaker is easier on an amp (less likely to driven into distortion, clipping etc). Although the Klipsches do not have a constant impedance (not many systems do), they are easy on an amplifier (yes tube amps are more effected by a non-uniform impedance). However, it is when a speaker system presents a very low impedance (e.g. an electrostatic going down to 2 Ohm) that it becomes most difficult for an amp to drive (tube or SS). A Klipsch does not go that low and consequently does not require an amp with beefed up current capability etc. I am sure that we do not disagree on that. This is why I claim that a Klipsch is an easy speaker (compared to others) for a amp to drive (as long as it is of adequate size and has no hiss/hum).

Regarding the original topic about Cryo-voodoo.... This is nonsense! Folks would do better by spending their energy on speaker set up and room treatment (those efeccts are not voodoo - they will make a difference)

-Tom

----------------

On 8/25/2005 8:22:49 AM PrestonTom wrote:

Regarding the original topic about Cryo-voodoo.... This is nonsense! Folks would do better by spending their energy on speaker set up and room treatment (those efeccts are not voodoo - they will make a difference)

-Tom

----------------

I couldn't agree more. It's not nearly as mystical but a lot more effective and much much cheaper than the latest audiophile fad...