Who owns the Dayton Titan here?...

texxas guy

I have the 15" and like it very much. As far as specs go you are going to have to wait for someone like meuge to chime in. I'm just not a technically inclined spec kind of guy. As far as comparing it to HSU or SVS I suppose it depends alot on what model you are comparing it to. It has great thump but I'd say in general it won't dig quite as deep as some of the SVS and HSU's do. Sorry, but's that's the best I can do.

----------------

On 8/25/2005 11:17:13 AM texxas guy wrote:

...and what are the specs on it? I don't find a lot of info on their site. I am asking about the 12" and 15" models. Are they comparable to SVS and HSU?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Larry (still weighing options)

----------------

I have the 15" model, which I've reviewed here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59175

It is an amazing sub, especially given its modest price.

Check out the thread... it should contain all the information you need. The only thing that I would like to add is that I now prefer the crossover point at 80Hz instead of 40Hz. The high quality of the Titanic III and the fidelity with which it reproduces sound allow you to add punch to the mid bass without losing clarity... something I couldn't do with my HSU VTF-2.

i own the dayton titanic 10 and its a decent sub. however, the amp that

it comes with is too small as it clips the driver easily. after

removing the bass boost at 30hz(6db) it got better but still can clip

easily. other than that its a solid sub/amp/cab combo. well built and good sounding imo.

scp53

The biggest difference i can see is the Titan is a sealed

enclosure versus a ported enclosure used for both the HSU and SVS.

It'll

sound quite different, with the ported ones playing lower and more

efficiently... but with the sealed one free from any port noise. You

could also design a ported Titanic rather than use the kit, but then

that would be a bigger project. I suppose it depends what you

are after?

Rob

...and what are the specs on it? I don't find a lot of info on their site. I am asking about the 12" and 15" models. Are they comparable to SVS and HSU?

Looking at your avatar are you a Z CAR fan??

If my memory serves me correct, I think the Titanic is about -12dB at 20Hz, with a -3dB point near 30Hz??? I don't have my modelling software available so I couldn't tell you for sure. I think they do post frequency response graphs on the site though...

Absolutely!!! My 04 is my second Z.....had an 83 280ZX back in the day.

Thanks to all who have responded about the Titan. I was hoping to hear from a few more actual owners of the 12" or 15" Model. I guess I am just trying to cover all the bases on a subwoofer purchase. I kept seeing posts recommending this sub and I am not at all familiar with it. Probably a little gun shy about buying a DIY vs from a more well-known company like SVS or HSU. I just want to get the most bang for my buck when I do purchase. I am leaning heavily now in the direction of the SVS 20-39+. I want a sub that is capable of playing loud, but can reach down low when needed ( the depth charge scene from U-571 comes to mind[:o]) Anyway, thanks for the input!

Larry

well if you have an attic or basement below you theatre then you need to go the route of four Avalanche 18's with a 1000 watt amplifier....you'd get a good 126dB down into the lower teens [;)]

(the drivers are $200 each and the amp would be about $500 or so). You could always go with less drivers (2 of them would do 114dB solid down to 15Hz or so).

There are other DIY options depending on what you're willing to spend on how big of an enclosure you can go with.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely!!! My 04 is my second Z.....had an 83 280ZX back in the day.

Here is a picture ogf my 78 280Z

post-12799-13819271425576_thumb.jpg