They are almost done with the basement

damonrpayne

Congrats!!

I remember when our basement was first starting to take shape, it was exciting to see what we'd only seen in our minds eye for so long. Keep the faith, once the foundation is set, things should start to move along at a pretty good clip. It won't be long and you'll be asking how to get rid of that big bass hole about 2 feet in front of the optimal listening spot. Good luck!

Studs, insulation, and drywall will change it some, (Room dimension wise) but you will be fine! I have 10 foot ceilings in mine and makes a huge difference now after drywall up! Does not feel like a downstairs at all.

Make sure you upgrade to a good pump for area water around the foundation? A back up battery /pump, too, if your in an area of any concern for wetness. (A 250.00 to 400.00 insurance policy today may save you from a BIG major problem later!)

I guess that did not click in..

Get a good sump pump.. for the area surface water...not flooding daymon... say it rains...that water goes down surrounding your house...in the footings... this usually goes to a pit in your basement which it pumps out.. It is also where if there is a hole in any area..it WILL creep in if it has no where to go.

Now everyone needs a good pump here.. I was saying a battery backup (AC till electicity runs out, if necessary) to take over if the bottom one does not...

Having extra insurance is/ might be ok.. more for structural damage, because we know your not going to get diddly for audio equipment... That said an extra 200- 400 dollars in what I am suggesting may help save your floors, carpet, anything on the floor, from ever happening!! That was my point B4.

For those planning on building in a 'wet' area.

Indianapolis was built on a swamp, but we have basements. Just the other day, my pump ran almost continuously.

I have a water powered backup. If the electricity goes out, that battery backup will pump only about 1/3 the water an AC unit will, and only for a few hours. If it's a bad enough storm that tree limbs are down and power is out, you can bet there will be a lot of water associated with it. Even a secondary pump won't help if it's on the same circuit, sometimes a burnt-out pump will trip the breaker, rendering a secondary pump worthless unless it has it's own circuit.

Water powered pumps work by using city water pressure. No electricity is involved so power can be out for days. Float valve triggers a mechanical switch, causing city water to enter a venturi, where it creates suction drawing water out of the sump pit. Mine will pump about 1 gallon for each 2 gallons of city water. BUT IT WON"T QUIT UNTIL THE CITY RUNS OUT OF WATER. Now THAT is a backup!

Michael

Well not so sure about a swamp.. Were like what, 580 ft + - if my memory is close above sea level? We do have rivers, a few lakes, and ponds scattered everywhere too. It is no way close to say Florida or Louisianna wetness wise.. So would be a stretch to call us "swamp country".. I can't in my lifetime remember water rising downtown for any reason at all.. Now creeks rising sometimes.. yep happens.. but what do you expect on a creek, run off water anyhow..

Go back in history, central Indiana was woodlands and wetlands. Height above sea level has little to do with the water table.

In most of our territory, the seasonal high water table is within a foot of grade. That means that when it rains, surface water that doens't immediately run off goes into the ground, which becomes saturated and that water has to go somewhere. It seeks the path of least resistance, and that is into that nice hole in the ground we dig called basement.

For instance, at my brother's home in south central Indiana, he is on a large rural property where septic finger systems are used for waste water. A percolation test shows that the heavy soil, combined with high water table, meant that he had to dig a second perimeter drain around his septic field to drain the land where the finger system lies. So the soil type also enters into the equation.

The best situation for basements are ones that 'see daylight'. That is to say that it is basically a walkout basement, where water from around the foundation runs off, and doesn't soak into the soil and your basement. Indy- yours is one of these ideal situation due to topography.

That's all I know about that....

Michael

...Height above sea level has little to do

with the water table. The best situation for basements are ones

that 'see daylight'. That is to say that it is basically a walkout

basement, where water from around the foundation runs off, and doesn't

soak into the soil and your basement.

Wouldn't that just be a ground floor with a slab on grade... and not really a basement? [;)]

But you are right about the water table being the factor rather than sea level... as well as the obvious rain runoff.

I'm a little curious to the need for a "municipal water powered" backup

pump. If it take two gallons to pump out one... don't you end up

with one gallon more than you started with? [;)] I know there

has to be more to it... but I'm not sure the reason that you have

the pump in the first place... Are you using a septic field, or

municipal sewage? Your basement lower than the sewer level, so

gravity won't suffice? Your municipal wastewater evacuated at a

higher elevation?

Pumps are usually required only if the bottom of the basement is lower

than the sewage system (once the slopes are added in) or that the city

doesn't accept any rain water in their system. I have no sump

pump in my home, as it drains into the municipal sewer using gravity

(slope in the pipe...).

The buildings we've designed or built with sumps have all been lower than the municipal sewer.

Later...

Rob

For those planning on building in a 'wet' area.

Indianapolis was built on a swamp, but we have basements. Just the other day, my pump ran almost continuously.

I have a water powered backup. If the electricity goes out, that battery backup will pump only about 1/3 the water an AC unit will, and only for a few hours. If it's a bad enough storm that tree limbs are down and power is out, you can bet there will be a lot of water associated with it. Even a secondary pump won't help if it's on the same circuit, sometimes a burnt-out pump will trip the breaker, rendering a secondary pump worthless unless it has it's own circuit.

Water powered pumps work by using city water pressure. No electricity is involved so power can be out for days. Float valve triggers a mechanical switch, causing city water to enter a venturi, where it creates suction drawing water out of the sump pit. Mine will pump about 1 gallon for each 2 gallons of city water. BUT IT WON"T QUIT UNTIL THE CITY RUNS OUT OF WATER. Now THAT is a backup!

Michael

during Hurricane Isabel, I was without power for 15 days . . . and without city water (no power = no pumps to pump city water, they have backup GenSets but they didn't work) for 5 days.

I now have a fully automatic GenSet of my own (at the expense of several other thing I would have rather spent the cash on) and all I need worry about now is the availibility of fuel (being in the bidness helps)

Damon

I was hoping to look at the dirt pile in your other pics, but can not

see them. If your soil is like mine, you will never have water in

your basement. The Kettle Moraine area is mostly water polished

rock, gravel and sand since it is where the glaciers dumped all the

rock they collected as they melted.

Congrats on your house FINALLY getting under way.

Also thanks for helping my wife out the other day hooking her up with your friend.

JM

I agree about the 'water-table' thing, perhaps if ancient Indy had been refered to as a 'wetland' :lol

Pumps are usually required only if the bottom of the basement is lower than the sewage system (once the slopes are added in) or that the city doesn't accept any rain water in their system. I have no sump pump in my home, as it drains into the municipal sewer using gravity (slope in the pipe...).

The buildings we've designed or built with sumps have all been lower than the municipal sewer.

Later...

Rob

[/quote user="formica]

I would really hope that your muni Does Not allow storm water into the sanitary sewer system . . . we had one heck of a time here in Richmond last year when tropical storm Gaston dumped about 12" of water in less then 12 hours . . .

as if the flooding from surface water were not enough, many folks had their homes flooded when the combination storm/sanitary sewer system that is the norm in the older portions of town backed up raw sewage into there homes. A good friend of mine's basement was 6' deep in the chit!

Damon

Sounds like you have good old Kettle Moraine soil. You will have NO drainage problems from nature.

What they have to do is get down to a soil level that is stable.

Sounds like you sand was too loose to hold your footing, so they had to

keep digging and back fill with crushed gravel. Not uncommon at

all.

Do you have sewer and water at your new house? If, so you will

still want a Insurance rider to cover any damage from possible sewer

backups. A good sump pump will not help much with that type of

damage. YUK.

JM

I would really hope that your muni Does Not allow storm water into the sanitary sewer system . . . we had one heck of a time here in Richmond last year when tropical storm Gaston dumped about 12" of water in less then 12 hours ...

The city has both underground pluvial and sanitary systems... but I live in an urban area, so no septic fields anywhere. Whether we have split or combined drainage, all of it flows into the municipal systems. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Backwater-valves (sp?) are standard issue to help protect basement drains from those mishaps.

Do you have sewer and water at your new house? If, so you will still want a Insurance rider to cover any damage from possible sewer backups. A good sump pump will not help much with that type of damage.

That's what I was figuring as... unless I'm missing something.

Rob

That's what I was figuring as... unless I'm missing something.

Rob

Rob, out where Boomac and I live, it is all well and septic.

Damon is building just north of us, farther from Milwaukee but closer

to a small town. Out here it either be Well or Municipal, it can

change mile to mile as the city grows outward.

JM