Any suggestions for what I should listen too tonight?

pauln

Well, there's...

Lots of classical - I like violin concertos, and anything Bach

Lots of prog rock from the golden age - (68-74) King Crinson, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, Genisis, Klaatu, Tod Rungren, Steve Hillage

Lots of regular stuff - Led Zepplin, Moody Blues, Pre-68 Pink Floyd,

Lots of McLaughplin

Lots of jazz, but not the kind Allen likes

100 albums from an Austin outlaw radio station - private label/independent label stuff - most of which is unlistenable to my tastes, but some unusual treasures I've found - Bubble Puppy, complete Tangerine Dream and Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, other pre grunge influences.

Paul

Well there is a live Deep Purple called 'Come Hell or High Water' or Smoke on the Water

Eddie Money "Gimme some Water"

Joe Cocker " I can Stand a Little Rain"

??? " It's a Hard Rain Gonna Fall"

Zep "The Rain Song"

That should get ya started.....

Michael

Definitely could be a Klaatu night. I've got four. I like the first the best - It sounds like the Beatles secretly reunited. Back in the mid 70's we did not know who Klaatu was because they withheld their identity until the 3rd or 4rth album. Some of my friends were convinced they were the Beatles under a new name because "Klaatu" means "We've been here before" in some language that I don't recall.

Yes, maybe the first album, starting with "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" (an old Carpenters Song!) and finishing with "Little Meutrino (sp)". Should have been Neutrino, but what do Canadians know about high energy physics?

And the trademark Mouse Sweak!

Paul

Lots of regular stuff - Led Zepplin, Moody Blues, Pre-68 Pink Floyd

"Regular stuff."

Regular in what way? I'm perplexed.

Hi Allen,

When I was a kid, I only had AM top 40 to listen to, and that was when being driven in the car. I had no way of knowing what to listen to, and the first time I went to a record store I made my choices based on the album covers.

My first three were Pink Floyd Umma Gumma, In the Court of the Crimson King, and Led Zepplin I.. These are still some of my favorite albums and if I had to live on an island with just a few I'd take these, and the Coltrane album that you don't like. Ilike what I like because that is what I have had to listen to. I say regular to distinguish my primitive primary tastes from the more intellectual and refined music I listen to now (I'm laughing...).

I'm reassured that you are watching out for me. I still want to explore jazz as you know it. Please reconsider assembling a record package for me?

Paul

Lots of regular stuff - Led Zepplin, Moody Blues, Pre-68 Pink Floyd

"Regular stuff."

Regular in what way? I'm perplexed.

Allan, please don't take offense, but if we had to explain it, you wouldn't understand. Suffice to say that to those of us who include the above in our definition of 'regular' music have spent some time in faraway places with strange sounding names.

Michael

I hate to say this 'cause it may ruffle some feathers, but I can't stand any PF from DSOTM on. I hate DSOTM. All the PF I love is pre-DSOTM. I'm the same way about Moody Blues - their old stuff is great, but their later stuff sounds like they blended in some later ZZ Top (Old ZZ is great, the later stuff is lousy). Same with Led Zep, Same with a lot of band (Like the Rolling Stones).

Seems to me that a band has a musical statement to make, and it gets made on their early stuff. After they are a "hit", they don't seem to have anymore to say musically, but the music industry machine makes them keep going - usually to no good end. It happened to Steely Dan, too.

Anybody notice this? I know a lot of folks think DSOTM is the bomb, but that is probably because it was the first PF they heard. Get the older stuff to see what they are really about. Sorry if this hurts feelings, but DSOTM is a deviation from which PF has been yet unable to recover. It's not their best.

Old Pink Floyd lik'in Paul

I've heard some of PF's older stuff and it's OK. I suppose if one is all consumed with the lyrics and their meaning that'd be one thing, but musically, I think PK really kicked from DSOTM on. I can smoke a dube, lay back in my leather chair and get lost in DSOTM, or The Wall. Some of the older stuff with Barret is OK, but doesn't blow me away.

I do like the old AC/DC better though.