KG4 woofer repairs

I have some recently acquired KG4's with minor woofer problems. These have the white/poly 8" woofers with foam surrounds. On one there is a 3/4 split radially in the cone material itself. On another the woofer material is split away from the surround for about 3" along the circumference.

Is there any way to make a repair short of reconing or buying new woofers from Klipsch. They sound okay for now, but damage like this always gets worse with time.

Thanks

Michael

Hey Michael, my first post in the new format, hopefully it works, even if I don't have a good answer for you. I always check any KG4 thread since I have a pair. I'm not any sort of speaker rebuilder, I'm sure you'll get better replies, but all I can think if is to get the woofers out and into a supported position in such a way that both sides of the tear can be accuratly positioned and weighted in place, then using a light application of a thin superglue to hold the seam together. I don't personally see that the weight of a thin strip of glue would effect the overall tonal quality of the woofer, but then I could be all wet. Hopefully you get a reply from Dean or one of the other speaker cone guys in case I ever find myself in the same boat. Good luck!!

p.s. That reminds me, I need to get an email off to someone about some repairs on some drivers I have sitting here.....

post-13504-13819269495188_thumb.jpg

Michael,

Ya got nothin' to lose. Per djk advice, I used some Weldbond to fix the

surrounds on some foam JBL woofer surrounds. This stuff is white, but

dries clear. Very tough and stays flexible. For the foam, you thin with

some water. Thin 3:1 or 5:1 and put on a couple of coats and let dry

for an hour. Use Zig-Zag cigarette papers (not that I even knew what

they were [;)]) for reinforcing over a tear. You can put the Weldbond

on a little thicker as well. Let dry for 24 hours. It only costs about

$5. I couldn't find it anywhere, but the local Ace owner ordered it for

me.

Did it change the compliance on the JBLs? Probably, but I wouldn't know

as they had splits in the surrounds when I got them. They sound

fabulous now.

http://www.weldbond.com

Bruce

A engineering approved replacement driver for the KG-4's is still available from the Klipsch Parts guys...1-800-554-7724 option 3...will be black color only. The surrounds are a butyel rubber best recommendation is to order a replacement woofer. Good luck with the attempt at repair first...never know until you try.

• Like 1

...soon as I take the film round to the chemists.... There's 36 exposures on there, hate to use a whole roll for just two shots. Believe me, the cones are black. Go outside on a dark night- black. Look at the background for the Klipsch Forum-black, kinda like that....