Oil finishes - different looks from different years???

rplace

All my current and previous klipsch speakers have had oil finishes. To me they have the look and feel of the actual wood not just a wood look with a protective cover like liquors/varnishes/polys have. That is until I got my new Belle this weekend. The tag on the back of both say BK-WO but this speaker looks more like a coffee table with a polyurethane finish then oiled wood. The grain is not as pronounced and it has more of a shine to it.

My khorns are 87s my 4 heresies are 85s. Forte IIs, Chorus, KG4s are all late 80s to early 90s. These Belles are "S" I think that makes them 78s if I am not mistaken.

Is it possible that the different (older) years look/feel different or is it more likely that these have had years and years of spray on furniture polish that is giving them a "plastic" look?

Any suggestions on getting them to look more like the rest of the collection?

BTW, if you are interested in our (GaryMD and Me) trip this weekend to Joessporsters house check out my thread on the new girl in the HT forum. Pix there for you pic-loving types.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I don't have personal knowledge of the factory product in terms of oil

finishes over the years, but what you describe with the Belle does not

sound like an oil finish.

You have to wonder if a previous owner had put on some kind of laquer or poly finish.

I would imagine that careful and gentle use of a stripper would soften

it to be wiped off. Then with clean it with very fine grit sand paper

and steel wool, the surface could be prepared for renewal with oil.

Light stain could help before furniture oil.

I'll be interested to hear from some folks who have hands on experience

with the different finish types from the factory, over the years.

DD, thanks for the reply. I was starting to think nobody could read my post with the new forum software.

Surely there is a person out there with "S" year speakers and and Oil finish. Are they glossy like a poly finish or do I need to consider stripping a bit in an inconspicuous part of the speaker?