Is this Eico EL84 tube amp any good?

Colin

Colin,

With the tuner taken out of the circuit, it would essentially be an HF-81 in terms of sound.

In my experience with HF-81's, I have considered them quite pleasant in terms of sound.

This looks like it could be an excellent bargain, too. ... with a very nice tube compliment.

That's not an answer for those of us who can't figure it out.

Any help appreciated

if you read the ad it states that the "FM stage was removed to divert more usable current to the important audio stages"

take a look at the following picture and you can see where the if strip for the tuner used to be.restoring this unit would be quite challenging even if you had a junker kicking around.his reasoning for doing this is also lame.if he was that concerned about having more power for the circuits he could have just replaced the power transformer with one that had a higher current rating.all he did in my opinion was ruin which was at one time a nice piece of gear.

post-16225-13819269611418_thumb.jpg

My opinion has nothing to do with the amplifier itself maybe that will help you guy's out a little.

Oh and just to clear up the HF81 comparison this amp is not anything like a HF81 it uses a completely different front end with 2- 6EU7's and 4- 7247's and the 5AR4 rectifier while the HF81 uses 4-12AX7 and 2- 12AU7's and dual EZ81 rectfiers. Major differences there but heck it may sound a good measure better who knows.

Craig

hi,

Colin,

With the tuner taken out of the circuit, it would essentially be an HF-81 in terms of sound.

In my experience with HF-81's, I have considered them quite pleasant in terms of sound.

This looks like it could be an excellent bargain, too. ... with a very nice tube compliment.

Yes the tubes are very nice. I have a HF-81 rebulit by Hotglass Audio

and it's very nice indeed. Worked flawlessly for the past year and had

a very sweet, detailed sound wtih a solid bass. And the price looks right, probalbly will go for under $200.00

Larry

Any help appreciated

if you read the ad it states that the "FM stage was removed to divert more usable current to the important audio stages"

take a look at the following picture and you can see where the if strip for the tuner used to be.restoring this unit would be quite challenging even if you had a junker kicking around.his reasoning for doing this is also lame.if he was that concerned about having more power for the circuits he could have just replaced the power transformer with one that had a higher current rating.all he did in my opinion was ruin which was at one time a nice piece of gear.

Very good pionts

hi,

Any help appreciated

take

a look at the following picture and you can see where the if strip for

the tuner used to be.restoring this unit would be quite challenging

even if you had a junker kicking around.his reasoning for doing this is

also lame.if he was that concerned about having more power for the

circuits he could have just replaced the power transformer with one

that had a higher current rating.all he did in my opinion was ruin

which was at one time a nice piece of gear.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is he took a

reciever that didn't work, converted into a functiong amp that's going

to be bought at a very low price. It may even go for a little

over $100.00. If the tubes test strong they are worth more then that on

the used market.

Larry

Hi,

Any help appreciated

take

a look at the following picture and you can see where the if strip for

the tuner used to be.restoring this unit would be quite challenging

even if you had a junker kicking around.his reasoning for doing this is

also lame.if he was that concerned about having more power for the

circuits he could have just replaced the power transformer with one

that had a higher current rating.all he did in my opinion was ruin

which was at one time a nice piece of gear.

Well that's one way of looking at it. Another is he took a non

functioning reciever and converted to a worlikg amplifier which is

going to sell at a very low price, probably a little over $100.00. If

the tubes test strong, they are worth that or more on the used market.

I think it's a reasonable way for someone to try out tubes and see if

they like them. It does carry a 1 year warrenty.

Larry

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is he took a reciever that didn't work, converted into a functiong amp that's going to be bought at a very low price. It may even go for a little over $100.00. If the tubes test strong they are worth more then that on the used market.

true,but he could have left in the parts and simply disconnected the wires associated with the tuner circuit.no need to rip out the if's and tubes to get it to work as an amp.i myself probally would have bought it at that price as a restoration project if everything was intact as it looks like a nice clean example but as it is now i wouldnt bother with it even for just the amp section.

chris

Ryan,

Hearsay is a great thing when your the one spreading it. It's to bad I never heard from this imaginary HF-81 user. I could slew sh!t on you until the cows came home with pictures to prove it but I figure this is not the place. Someone asked about the amplifier and I gave my opinion never mentioning you and trying to refrain from mentioning why I would refrain from buying it. You are showing very bad taste once again but that is nothing new. What is this your 100th time being banned from this forum along with being banned from Audio Karma (which I had nothing to do with you did that one all on your own). I think those two facts prove it all! I rest my case.

Craig