Synergy vs. Ref and other questions

NoviDave

Hi Folks,

I need your help. After much research, I have finally decieded on new Klipsh speakers for my new HT. Based on everything I have listened to, I beleive the Klipsh speakers are best for HT (90%HT/10%Music). My new setup is a 50" Toshiba widescreen and a Onkyo 787 receiver. I now need speakers.

I have looked at both the Synergy series (SF-1,SC-1,SS-1and KSW-12) and the Reference Series (RF-3,RC-3,RS-3 and KSW-12). The price is very attractive on both sets but I am afraid the RF series will be both Huge in size (did I mention I was married) and perhaps a little overkill for my needs. I have not been able to listen to the R series other than the RB-3's. I liked those. The problem with bookshelfs is that by the time I buy stands, they cost the same as floor standing.

Next issue is surrounds. I cannot find two people with the same answer, so I am asking you. My rear surrounds will be mounted on the side walls approximately 6 feet BEHIND the seating area. The room is very open behind the speakers (kids play area)and to the right of the viewing area (kitchen/wet bar and the stairs going up). The million dollar question - Are the bipole speakers the right way to go or should I look at directs. If directs, please feel free to make suggestions.

One last question. If I deceide to go for the Refrence Series, could I skip the subwoofer now and add it later. Will the RF-3 provide enough bass to make due. The budget is not busted but is severely strained.

Thanks in advance for your help. All of the forums have been a great help.

David

------------------

"Honey....Really, I got a great deal on it"

novidave,

I would recommend the reference over the synergy based on what I've heard from other memebers on this board. Your rear speaker position sounds fine, and make sure it is about 6 feet or so higher than listening position as well. Go with the RS-3s here since your use is 90% HT. You get the best of both worlds with that hybrid speaker.

Oh yea, get a sub! Those RF-3s don't have much bass by themselves. How big is the room.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Almost same thing here,go with the R series Klipsch.

You get more detail and a better overal sound quality.

The impact the RF-3's can provide with the Onkyo 787 should give you nice bass.Not the sub bass but solid and punchy bass.The rest of the setup is fine.

I would not get the KSW12 now,I would wait so the scars heal and buy later a RSW10 or 12 sub.Smile.gif

The RSW subs hould match much better and provide the Klipsch Reference punch!

TheEAR(s) Now theears