Holy Grail Tubes??

sputnik

I'm heading out to a large estate auction this morning. Among the items for sale is a large collection of radio and communications equipment including Crosley radios, Airline Model 84w6-2204d console radio, Philco, Arvin, aircraft radios, Heathkit signal generator, and ......... a large section of tubes. Is there anything on/or related to this list or particular tubes to watch for. I don't know much about tubes but if you tell me what to look for, I'll keep a eye out for anything anyone might want.

More importantly, look for specific types:

Audio power tubes are worth $$$$, if associated with the names above and in new or as new condition:

KT-88/6550

EL-34

6L6/EL-37/KT-66

8417 (let me know if you find any of these!)

Preamp tubes can be worth bucks too:

6DJ8/7308/6922

12AX7

12AU7

6SN7

Certain brands of each type are worth more because of their particular qualities, but sometimes it is dependent on the particular internal construction of the tube. There are lots of websites which can provide you with some general guidance, but it is not a simple question.

The other problem is that you have no idea whether the tube is functioning or about to die. When you sell a tube as unknown condition, you'll take a significant hit compared to someone who has tested it on a calibrated tube tester.

Good Luck!

Jeff

I just got back in. There was so much stuff, they were just auctioning off the "outside" stuff - old tractors, cars, trucks, antique wagons and tack, old camping and fishing gear, and lots of tools. I picked up a few nice old tools and some cool old rock climbing gear. The antiques and electronics will be auctioned next weekend. I tried to snoop around but there was nothing available to view and none of the auction workers seemed to know much about the electronic gear but they said there is a lot. I should be in town next weekend so I'll give it another try.