Lost in E-Space: Cornwall Mods Glossary

Def Leper

I'm new to the forums, and would like to review suggested Cornwall modification hints. The oft-referred-to thread "Cornwall Mods Glossary" is nowhere to be found. Even a search on "glossary" yields only a few threads where people have referred to this thread, not the thread itself. The search routine is also a bit random, and repeated searches on the same keywords seems to yield different results almost every time.

Can anyone post a link to the actual thread?

Background:

I recently picked up a pair of what were probably among the last Cornwall I-series made, produced the week before Christmas in 1984. I'm replacing a diaphragm in one midrange driver, but other than some veneer wear, the speakers are in excellent condition. I would like to welcome the speakers to a new millenium with some modifications that will offer improvements that a deaf old geezer can hear, but that will not make them look like the south end of a northbound DeLorean time machine.

A crossover upgrade or capacitor replacement is supposed to yield the best results as far as audible modifications go. Some have added a brace in the cabinet (newer CW's have a front to back brace).

If you change your mind and want the DeLorean, you can turn them into a "CornScala" or a DBB (double bass bin). [H]

ARRRRRGGGFKGGGGGRRRRRR

I started that thread and a ton of work went into it. I looked too, it's gone????

Maybe it was one of the ones that didn't make the transition--- yet? There were a lot of photos and diagrams on it.

Michael

I was able to SEARCH and find them on the old bulletin board.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=51942&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={BA2BC161-428D-42B5-B843-A35DB0134D73}

Is there any consensus from forum participants about the new Cornwall type-B crossovers offered by Bob Crites on ebay? As mentioned before, my late-model Cornwall I's have the B-3 crossover.

Also, thanks everyone for the comments on the original thread. I think I'm going to pass on the solid silver wire for the speaker connections and apparently my later model midrange horn doesn't need damping but the woofer brace seems like an easy and useful mod, along with perhaps the felt sealing gasket for the rear hatch. I might do the crossovers, too.

Any opinions on the following from the aspect of negative impact on sound quality?

-Eliminate grill cloth system

-veneer the front plate (no kids to poke fingers in drivers)

-1" riser

-front to back tensile brace to preload the front and back plates (maybe two of them)

Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

Is there any consensus from forum participants about the new Cornwall type-B crossovers offered by Bob Crites on ebay? As mentioned before, my late-model Cornwall I's have the B-3 crossover.

Also, thanks everyone for the comments on the original thread. I think I'm going to pass on the solid silver wire for the speaker connections and apparently my later model midrange horn doesn't need damping but the woofer brace seems like an easy and useful mod, along with perhaps the felt sealing gasket for the rear hatch. I might do the crossovers, too.

Any opinions on the following from the aspect of negative impact on sound quality?

-Eliminate grill cloth system

-veneer the front plate (no kids to poke fingers in drivers)

-1" riser

-front to back tensile brace to preload the front and back plates (maybe two of them)

Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

Replace the old caps

Install the additional 3/4" sheet over the back plain

Brace the motor board

Replace the K600 lens

Replace the mid driver

Replace the K77

In that order of improvement

Regards,

Terry