Anyone enjoying LaScalas with SETs?

pauln

I'm using the Wright WPA 3.5 Monoblocks with Sovtek 2A3 and the Wright WPL 11 preamp/phono EQ (mine is a digital free zone - I only listen to records!). I like to listen at a level that puts the SPL meter (fast) up in the high 80 dB. According to PWK, these meters are 13dB below the actual true peaks - which would be about 100 dB (which is about 1/2 watt in the LS). Some times I wonder if I'm driving the Ferrari around the neighborhood in first gear, but I really like the sound of the LS with SET. Maybe the majic is in the first 1/2 watt?

These are the 2005 AL-4 LS - I have bi-wired the Wrights directly into the HI and LO crossovers (no speaker wires!)

Paul

I have 2004 La Scalas and should be getting a Merlin tube preamp next week. I also have a Transcendent Sound Ground Grid tube preamp that I used with my Cayin TA 30 tube amp and did not think they matched very good. The GG sounded very good with a pair of SM 70 pros monoblocks. The Merlin may match better with the Cayin but it may not.

I listen at low volumes from 3:30 AM to 7:00 AM since I work from 4:30 PM to 3:00 AM so I usualy can not use large volume levels. Also my living room is 15 x 15 x 8 so it does not take much to fill that room up with sound. Have to pay bills first and work on truck so amps will have to wait till next year.

Xman

Some times I wonder if I'm

driving the Ferrari around the neighborhood in first gear, but I really

like the sound of the LS with SET.

Your analogy may be over generous.[:D]

Since you're wondering, you probably have a basis for your unease. Maybe there is a quality push-pull amp in your future.

I am currently listening to a wonderful Delta Studio 6s33s and my charming $500 BottleHead 2A3 Paramour monoblocks (kit) on black LaScalas, without any subs. Compared to the $2K Roksan Caspian, a $5 vintage harmon kardon 330b single transformer receiver and the $500 Red Wine Clari T digital amplifier, the mid-range of the tube amplifiers is gorgeous: lush, detailed and delicate! Keeps you playing disc after disc. Very enjoyable (but the bass is light with the Paramours). [H]

I can't deny that some SET amplifiers do the midrange very nicely, Colin. Maybe your LaScalas may need a little subwoofer help? The hard part is selecting a sub that will do the horns justice - not overpowering, just adding a little subtle extension. I reckon even very simple music can benefit from a more extension. Some argue that the inclusion of a carefully calibrated subwoofer can enhance not only the lower frequency extremes, but can also enhance the midrange.