need new receiver advice

morrima

My Yamaha RX-V757 has just died (electrical storm) and I need a replacement. This is my third Yamaha and I've been happy with their performance so far and I'm thinking of going with a RX-V2500 but I thought I'd get a few opinions of fellow Klipsch users... I'd just like to see what you all are using and what seems to be the best value for the money.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

I have been doing lots of research this week on HT Receivers. For the money you can't go

wrong with the Brand/Model you just lost........ It is getting great reviews. My local Ovation dealer

offered me one for 550.00! The next model down the RX-V 657 is also a winner - and comes in

around 450.00. The easy setup features and what you get compared with other models makes

the Yamaha a great deal.

The other unit I am leaning towards is the Onkyo TX-SR 602 .

The only question I am bothered by is Service- most dealers (unless you buy their extended

warranty), tell me that If i have problems to contact the Maker of the unit- directly.........!

Please let me know what you finally decide on..........very interested!

....chiming in.

I have been looking for a new receiver for about 3 years. How time flys.

I like the reviews and sound of Yamahas.....but IMHO I don't like the look of the receiver 657 & 757(nothing personal).....I think they're a bit homely(though you're right-great reviews-and with music. Though the 1500 and the 2500 are nicer looking.

I DO like the look of the Onkyo's, especially the 702. Deep blue light around the volume. Very good reviews. Solid.

Bob

I own three different Denons (AVR-3600 AVR-3803, & DVD-2200), so I

feel the same way you do. They have been very reliable, so my next

player would be a Denon. The 3803 I have will be my last receiver

since I will make the jump to separates when that time comes

I would do the same. If the Yamaha has been that reliable, then I don't

think you will go wrong buying another one. My 5 disc changer is a

Yamaha and I'm still using it. Bought it the same time I bought my

Denon AVR-3600 (the receiver I used before getting the 3803). You are

already familiar with them, so that's a big plus.

Hi guys...

I'm on my 4th A/V Receiver now... 3 are currently seeing duty in my home...

I have a Yamaha RXV793, RXV1300, and a Harman Kardon AVR7300 ...

I've been a big fan of the Yamaha lineup for some time now... and still am...

Recently I visited a Circuit City and was playing with the AVR635 and was really impressed with it's sound... so, after hearing the 635 and seeing several great reviews, I decided to go with something different and purchased the AVR7300 and am very happy that I did... This receiver compliments my Reference Speakers very, very nicely... Very powerful in both Home Theater and Music applications...

It is a big improvement over my other Yamaha receivers in both power and sound quality but again, this wasn't a very fair competition... The HK does have a different sound than the Yamaha and the Klipsch speakers seem to like it a lot!!!

If you would like to try something different and am on a budget, I would strongly suggest you take a look at the HK AVR635 ... There are currently some pretty good deals going on out there for this receiver...

Hope this helps,

TIM

In my mind, Denon is the best. If you have the money, go for it. If

not, get Onkyo. They have great performance for small price. But since

the average Joe hasn't heard of them, if you want something mainstream,

go with Harman Kardon, or a high end Yamaha. Don't ever buy Sony audio-

the make good TV's. not recievers. And when I say Denon, I don't mean

Radio Shacks product.

Conventional SS is as dead as a do-do, a waste of money.

Yep...

So dead in fact that you can disregard this statement as you won't even find any conventional SS amps any longer! That is how obsolete they are!

Or wait, the new Tri-Path amps, where do you find them?

Oh well, since you can't find the conventional SS amps and the Tri-path are even more scarce, you might as well just give up!

Have you considered taking up tennis?

Simple isn't it!

I have three Yamaha's up and running. Old RXV 850 pro-logic needed some repairs, done, and its the basement system. Have a RX596 stereo receiver in the office.

Year old RXV2400 is the new main brain of the outfit. LOVE IT! Are there any features you have questions about? Bill H was looking at 757, 657 and I thought the features looked pretty similar at much lower price point. No point buying features/power you don't really need.

Mine is hooked up to 4xCW and KLF-C7 with zone 2 channels 6 and 7 powering background music for my gallery.

Michael

Dragon----You're being absurd. I meant that conventional SS is old hat, overpriced, obsolete technology, not that you can't find it.

But you knew I meant that and chose to be obtuse.

It's easy enough to find chip-amp receivers, all you have to do is find a place that sells JVC and Panasonic. Last I heard they were fairly well known brands.

J&R Musicworld sells them online and Frys carrys them. My pal Kurt Chang is bi-amping his JBL theatre horns with a Behringer digital crossover and a JVC chip receiver he bought at Frys for--get this--$119, open box. You should have a system that sounds so good.

Congrats Bill H! I think you'll be a very happy man. Folks, we have another convert here- Bill was a staunch 2 ch man until he came over here. One good listen and he's taking his RB35's back and buying 7 channels of receiver for HT!

Sorry about all the bucks it cost you Bill, but you're gonna love it!

Michael

Well I've changed my mind a little... I'm now thinking about the rx-v1500 instead of the 2500. I actually though about just replacing my 757 or droping down slightly to a 657 (got a record player though), but there are a couple of features I really like about the 1500, namely the video up conversion and zone 2 speaker config.

From what I can tell Zone 2 starts at the 1500. And from what I can tell, here's what the 2500 has over the 1500:

ON SCREEN DISPLAY W/GUI
19 DSP SOUND FIELDS VS 17

SUBWOOFER PHASE SELECT

CONTINUOUS FAN MODE

SCHOTTKY BARRIER DIODE FOR HIGH SOUND QUALITY

SEPARATE ZONE 2 STANDBY/ON BUTTON

REC OUT/ZONE 2 SELECTOR DIAL

3 COMPONENT INPUTS VS 2

ZONE 2 VIDEO

6 YPAO PRESENTS (SYSTEMS MEMORY)

PEQ MANUAL ADJUSTMENT

YPAO CONTINUE IF ROOM IS NOISY

ILLUMINATED REMOTE BUTTONS

Truthfully, the 1500 is slightly out of my price range (unless I purchase from a non-certified vendor, and then the 2500 actually just barely squeaks into my range) and I really would like to start upgrading more of my speakers to klipsch... but I figure, what good are quality speakers if you don't have the receiver to drive them.