Digital Coax or Multi-Channel?

bvbull200

Sorry if this question is on the board somewhere, but I couldn't find an answer. I have a Pioneer DVD Player, the DV-578A, it is a SACD/DVD-A player as well. Now, I know its not the best player and I've read about some great players for a future upgrade, but what I would like to know is, is it better to decode DD and DTS through the player's multi-channel output, or to send a digital signal through my digital coaxial cable and let my Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver do the decoding? It may be an obvious answer, and I've listened to both on some reference material and from what I have discovered, it has sounded a little better through digital coax, and I probably just answered my own question. Just wanted to see what everyone else thinks and if its worth going back and tinkering with my settings on both my receiver and DVD player if the multi-channel output has a higher potential for sound quality.

I would connect both the digital coax or optical plus the 6 channel

analog cables. Obviously for SACD and DVD Audio you will want to use

the 6 channel analog outs, your yamaha should have a button marked

direct or external input. Thats for SACD/DVD A.

For DD or DTS you have many choices here.

1. For DD & DTS let the DVD player decode it and send the signal via the 6 channel analog outs.

2. A-B the source and determine what sounds best to you either coax or as I said

above the analog outs. Typically most people find the sound better when the Pre Pro

does the DD/ DTS decoding but that depends on the DVD Player and your Pre pro. You

want to always use you analog out for SACD & DVD

A, not the DD or DTS tracks. Even though some disc

will have 24-48 for both the DTS & DVD A tracks, DTS is still

a loosy

format.

Bottom line is, Yes you did answer your own question and I am rambling[:P]

Yeah, I've always kept the multi-channel connection for SACD and DVD-A (had the player for a little over a year now). I originally used digital coax because my old receiver had no more optical inputs (talking about a cheapy...had ONE optical input). I'm satisfied with decoding all other DD and DTS signals with my current receiver. There are very limited adjustments on my DVD player for tweaking everything. *Sigh* I guess thats more motivation to upgrade again...