The Grudge / Ju - On

theryugobuddy

Creepy movies. "The Grudge" is the Hollywood version of the Japanese original "Ju - On". They are horror / suspense dealing with a haunted house in Japan -- I won't say anymore about the plot.

Both movies are quite similar--even the house looks very much the same. But, both need to be seen for their differences. The Grudge has better effects-the original had more horror elements. I enjoyed both, and both got under my skin-

I made the mistake of showing my kids a few frames, and they now never leave my sight at home at night--too scared.

About a week ago we watched The Grudge on HBO HD and thought it was pretty good. An hour or so later Ju-on came on Showtime Hd. About 10 minutes into Ju-on I asked my wife if we had seen it before it seemed really familiar to me.

It took me a few more minutes before it dawned on me I had just got done watching basically the same movie a couple hours earlier.

It was nice being able to compare them like that. I liked The Grudge better but Ju-on was definitely creepy.

The Grudge and The Ring were both Japanese concepts both done VERY well; ultrahigh in the creepiness factor. Not too many movies will give me goosebumps but these do. I have both movies, but have been mulling around for months about getting Ju-on and Ringu although I haven't seen those.

Anyfeedback folks? Are the originals worth a purchase.?

I

The Grudge and The Ring were both Japanese concepts both done VERY well; ultrahigh in the creepiness factor. Not too many movies will give me goosebumps but these do. I have both movies, but have been mulling around for months about getting Ju-on and Ringu although I haven't seen those.

Anyfeedback folks? Are the originals worth a purchase.?

I saw both Ringu and Ju-On from Netflix, and I think they are both great movies. Their Hollywood remakes both look like they had bigger budgets and appeal more to American tastes, where the originals both had elements not seen in the remakes. I don't buy alot of movies, but if you buy alot I think you would buy the originals for yourself and not for others to watch. I find most people don't like foreign films if they can have an American version of the same story.

(That said-- I just bought Kung Fu Hustle, a Chinese movie, and showed to friends and they love it. )

I thought Ringu was interesting because of the way the men are treated--with respect! It must be more a part of their culture. Where, the male lead in the Ring(name?) is a deadbeat and immature, even though he's heroic.

And Ju-On had a school girl scene not in the Grudge that was supercreepy--I think you'd buy them and watch the originals for the differences from the remakes--well worth it--