which amp

strutter

i am interested in hearing what 5.1 receiver you all suggest for my situation. the room is 22'x27' with 11' ceilings. half of this is carpet. half is hardwood flooring. walls are fairly sparse so i know i have some work to do with the acoustics. the sound is somewhat bright at times but not at all unbearable. speakers used are F-3, C-3, S-3 all Klipsch Synergy III. the sub is an 8" Denon (soon to be replace by something bigger)The receiver will be used for 50/50 music and movies. i love it loud so it must supply lots of clean watts without clipping.

currently i use a Denon AVR-683 80wpc @8ohm .05thd. i had a transformer in it replaced not long ago and while out for repair i also bought all new speakers to replace 3 blown ones. i would like to retire this one to the bedroom where it will lead a less stressful life.

can anyone suggest a reciever that will push these speakers to their full potential without clipping?

what amp will sound best with klipsch synergy III speakers and why?

Ok lets see...Just one last important piece of information. What is the budget? For a better sound I reccomend an amp and separte pre amp. B&K stuff sounds good with Klipsch. a 5 Channel B&K 200.7 I beleive will do nicely. Then the Pre RF50 is a good one.

If on a budget, the older ST202 (2) channel amp was good.

If you get a good front end, have a look at the QSC DCA (Digital Cinema

Amplifier) series. They are lightweight, using the PowerWave technology

as in the PLX series (like Dean has). You can bridge pairs for more

output. They run cool. Two and four channel models available.

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/dca/dca4/dca4.htm

They have an 8 channel series (CX) as well, but a little less power)

Bruce

the best for the least is my motto. but if i had to put a number on it i suppose "SWMBO" would let me spend 2k but i could probably find a little more if needed and hide the receipt. I'll check out the B&K (ugh, is that the actual name or is that short for something?) and determine if it is adequate for my needs. I'm not very hip on the amp and pre amp thing , I've never dealt with separates before. what should i look for to be able to connect these two components together. could you point me toward a web site that describes the connection ? i live in a really rural area there are no high end shops around here, even the nearest best buy is 40 miles away. all they carry is integrated units. i had to drive 50 miles 5 years ago to get my Denon. i shop for info on the web, narrow my choices, then make the drive to finalize. Not doing to good a covering up the newbie am i? always learning

E-Bay and Audiogon sell the used electronics. All of mine except the pre amp are used and sound great. You can even look at Yamaha M series amps. I am using an M80 and M65 for my HT. A preamp hooks up with RCA's just like a CD/VCR player. You could go Integrated, but I found I just could not get the sound I wanted. I had an RXV992 Yamaha, just didn't do it for me.

For $2,000 you could set yourself up nice. Go to the HT section and ask the same question and you willl get a ton of answers. I have written to Roger-Russell, former engineer at McIntosh and speaker developer for them for 25 years, and he is currently using M series amps like me.

Just in case you get a very different opinion. Ther are many pre maps to choose from I would get opinions from the HT section on that. Figure $1,000 for three amps amd $1,000 for a good pre and you will be rocking. That is all used prices though. New seems just a waste of money to me unless you have plenty to spend.

the best for the least is my motto. but if i had to put a number on it i suppose "SWMBO" would let me spend 2k but i could probably find a little more if needed and hide the receipt. I'll check out the B&K (ugh, is that the actual name or is that short for something?) and determine if it is adequate for my needs. I'm not very hip on the amp and pre amp thing , I've never dealt with separates before. what should i look for to be able to connect these two components together. could you point me toward a web site that describes the connection ? i live in a really rural area there are no high end shops around here, even the nearest best buy is 40 miles away. all they carry is integrated units. i had to drive 50 miles 5 years ago to get my Denon. i shop for info on the web, narrow my choices, then make the drive to finalize. Not doing to good a covering up the newbie am i? always learning

For $2K, this one is might be worth a look, and you could probably talk him down a bit:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1132110177