? on audio interconnects.

dcmo

I just bought a dvd player with 5.1 channel outputs, and am wondering if I need digital or analog interconnects (currently have it hooked up with a digital optical out). My receiver's multi-channel in inputs are analog, does this mean the interconnects need to be analog and not digital? Also should the cable's be a single cable, instead of a dual cable (which is what I have my amp currently set up with for now. speaking of the amp should the cables for this be digital or analog) connecting two channels at a time. Cost wise the dual cables are cheaper, but is there any quality being lost by doing this. Sorry if this wasn't worded very well, but it was off the top of my head as I really haven't had the time to let it sift thru my mind. Thanks for your help!

If you have already hooked up a digital output, then you don't need

anything else. The analog multi input is for those devices that

don't have a digital out. For digital inputs, if you are using

coaxial, then you don't need any fancy cables. They just pass

bits of 0 and 1s and any reasonable audio or video cable should work.

Actually, DVD players that can handle DVD-Audio and/or SACD will mostlikely have 5.1 channel analog outputs. Unless something changed in the last year, those 2 formats are never outputed on the digital/optical 5.1 output. Too worried about direct digital copying.

I do believe that some of the high end Pioneer Elites DVD-Audio/SACD players had some for of digital outpout that could be plugged into a Pioneer Elite receiver to eliminate the audio interconnets. Other high end gear probably has similar capability