TERRIFIC DVD (...at least, this two channel guy thinks so...)

Ray Garrison

Last night my wife and I listened to the Don Henley DVD "Don Henley Live - Inside Job" - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004Z4VT/qid=981756492/sr=1-1/ref=sc_d_1/102-4920423-4968166 at Amazon...

This is one of the best sounding recordings of a live concert I have ever heard. I'm just a two channel guy, La Scalas with an REL Storm sub, but the sound of this concert was so, uh, was gonna say "real" but "real" concerts don't sound this good... This is a FANTASTIC recording. I have NO IDEA what it sounds like in DTS or Dolby Digital, but the sound on my system in two channel mode absolutely blows away any of the studio versions I have on CD of any of these songs. After we watched this concert, my wife wanted to hear "The Last Worthless Evening" (one of the few hits NOT on this DVD), so I popped in "The End of the Innocence" CD and cued up track 4. It sounded really closed in, muffled and not nearly as "alive" as the DVD concert sounded. Hummm. Tried the verion on "Actual Miles". Sounded the same as the other CD.

The DVD sounds sooooo much better it almost makes me want to go buy a bunch more speakers, a processor, some more amps, cables, knock out the rear wall so I'd have someplace to put the surrounds... well, maybe not.

Anybody out there with DTS or Dolby Digital setups have any comments about how it sounds on YOUR system?

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

ray, not that specific 1 but close - the Hell Freezes Over in DTS. as many on this bb have acclaimed, the best live music recording heard to date. the 5.1 advantage could be it provides some directionality for the instruments on the stage &, well surrounds u. but otherwise the quality of sound is probably the same. i haven't heard that henley yet so sorry if i got off on another tangent. sounds like just a matter of time til u dive into surround though. smile.gif

MikeKid,

I would have to disagree. I bought this dvd because the Eagles-Hell Freezes Over is the best that I have ever heard (and I own a bunch). The three front channels all have the same information on them. The center might as well not be there. On the Eagles DVD you can hear a different person out of each speaker. I haven't tried it in stereo. I will have to go back and give it a second try.

Thats ok itchywoods. Hey..on my system, in my home THIS concert sounds better than most of this type of music out right now. I think it was mixed VERY well...more what a concert does sound like. I also like Tom petty High grass dogs which does not use the center at all..but sounds GREAT. Fleetwood mac, Peter Frampton, The Talking heads (Stop making sense), Natalie Merchant, and the Eagles are among "the better" DVD concerts also. These are Some of the concerts on DVD that sound pathetic to ME...Alice Cooper welcome to my nightmare, Sarah Mclachlan mirror ball, All of the Cheap trick ones, Led Zeppelin, and Pat Benatar. I can only listen to those in stereo because the 5.1 mix IS so bad. All echo....Sounds like the sound is coming out of a cardboard box. Check those out itchywoods, you'll see what I mean. (If you haven't already) Where are those PINK FLOYD DVD'S I have been waiting for??!!!!

Well, thats my oppinion....Yippy!

Take care

Mike

I don't know, Ray, I'm just getting my very first surround system optimized now, and it sounds pretty good on 7-channel stereo with regular CDs and phono. I haven't had time to go out and get a music DVD yet: thanks for your suggestion about the Henley DVD. I just got a Denon AVR-3801 with SB-1s, SC-1, SS-1, and KSW-15. I'm still using my Cornwalls as the fronts for another day or two, then I'll move them over to "multi-zone" so I can use them separately for stereo. Then I'll use the Synergy system (5.1) for HT. Now I'm starting to think about monoblocks for the Cornwalls. I've decided to sell my 1974 Quad 405 amp/303pre pair. Anyway, this surround stuff takes some getting used to...it's too early for me to judge, as I haven't yet optimized everything. Enjoy your superb La Scala stereo sound. I doubt surround will surpass it!

It truly can be hit and miss with good sound on a DVD. In general, a concert recorded in the 70's or 80's will not sound good re-mixed in Dolby Digital. There are a few exceptions..Roy Orbison's "Black and White Nights" was recorded in 88' but was recorded digitally so there was a good base when it was re-mixed for DD/DTS. Although I have not heard it yet, the Stones' "Gimmie Shelter" (DVD re-release) is supposed to be a good re-mix, but I'm wary of something that old producing good results. The only guarantee I have found, so far, is that if it is a recent concert recording (say 96' or newer) and has both Dolby Digital and DTS available on the disc, the chances of good sound rise dramatically. DTS only DVD's will sound great (as long as you have the decoding capabilities). "Hell Freezes Over" and Tina Turner's "Live in Amsterdam" are good examples here. Others I've found other than what has been mentioned so far (since I'm always searching for good demo material) are "James Brown Live", "The Moody Blues with The London Symphony Orchestra" and Dave Matthews' "Listener Supported". My next one looks like the new Neil Young and Crazy Horse, with a copyright of 2000, available in DD and DTS.

[ok i was interested in buying the don henley dvd myself and i saw it was in dts so maybe i will buy it...i do have the latest tina turner one from her last concert...james taylor dvd live at beacon theater is awesome too....incredible sound!!

My two cents worth.....

On DVD, I really enjoy my Tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughan. Not so much for the recording/mixing, but for the shear greatness of his playing and music. And for visual impact, try Odyssey Into The Mind's Eye with music by Kerry Livgren (guitarist from the rock group Kansas).

On CD, Little Feat's "Waitin' for Columbus" is a fave.

Tom Adams

Magnaman, I agree...can't wait for Pink Floyd to come out on DVD. (I hope this happens) I Have both Delicate sound of thunder and Pulse on VCD, the Delicate sound of thunder is of pretty bad quality but Pulse is pretty good though for a VCD.

Have you heard any thing about any releases on these?

Later

Mike