Looking for a receiver to compliment my Klipsch Synergy Set

Freakizoid

Hey all,

I recently finished putting together my speaker set of Klipsch Synergys, SB-1 Fronts, SC-1 Center, SS-1 Rear Surrounds and a KSW-12 subwoofer. I currently have a Technics 5.1 reciever thats going south on me and was looking for a good receiver to compliment my newly aquired speakers. I've heard people say that Klipsch's are bright sounding speakers and I do kind of notice this I guess at some points sometimes. I've heard that Harmon Kardon are a good pair since they have been called "warm" receivers but wanted to get some input form some folks here.

I'm not an audiophile or anything, but I know what sounds good. Things I want in a receiver are: 7.1 channels, component-ins with video upconversion, multiple optical audio ins. My speakers are all rated at 100 watts per channel but I noticed that HK receivers seem to all rate their watts per channel much lower than most. Someone told me everyone does it differently so don't pay too much attention to that.

Primary usage is DVD movies and Xbox/Xbox 360 gaming, but there may also be some music going through if it has multizone stuff included but its more of an afterthought.

Thanks in advance.

-F

Welcome to the forum Freakizoid,

I have a Marantz SR4500, It does all you are asking for but I am not sure about the multi room tho. It is relatively inexpensive if you are looking for new, around $400.00.

You will get lots of different opinions here but what you need to do it go out and listen to some and see what you like.

Steve

Thanks for the welcome. The multi zone thing is kind of just a bonus, I can always take another cheap receiver for the other zone (screened in porch). I've also heard Marantz are a good compliment but have never heard of that brand. the sr4500 only does up to svideo conversion, it looks like the 5500 is more of what I'm looking for, component video upconversion and also has the multi zone. Do you know of any local retailers that would have a demo of this unit, because I don't know if I've ever seen these in a best buy or circuit city type joint.

H/K rate thier recievers conservatively. A Pioneer rated at 135 Watts

per channel typically cant deliver more than 40 watts per channel

driving all 7 channels. The H/K can. However The H/K does not have

video upconversion at this time (if you are looking for component to

HDMI). Well the new 740 can/will but its an arm and a leg and a totally

different beast from the 435/635.

That being said the 635 can be had really cheap if you look around.

(Don't think we are allowed to quote prices here?). Add in a geffin 2

or 4 way dvi/hdmi switcher and you've got what you are looking for.

Is the hk 635 in the same category as a Denon 4806/5805? No. But its a

damn good reciever and if you want to add more amperage later on its

got a full set of pre-outs.

Plus I'm addicted to Logic-7 :

Refurb Denon AVR-2105 for about $450 to your door from Dakmart.com is what I did. Honest 90wpc with 7.1 or 5.1 + 2nd room two-channel setup. Does all you would ever want to do and that saves about $200 from a new one. They had very good customer service and shipping. In fact, I was so pleased I got a Denon AVR-785 refurb for my other system from them as well, and was equally pleased with that receiver.

I've heard that Denons, while a good product may not be the best pairing for my synergys. Most common reply on other forums and here seem to be Marantz or H/K. Harman does have an awesome refurb program on ebay that i've heard nothing but great things about and their prices are awesome and come with their "same as new warranty" so it looks like I may go that way. Thanks for everyones response. The only thing now is....do i buy the 60 Inch HDTV first , or the receiver?

do i buy the 60 Inch HDTV first , or the receiver?

I'd buy the receiver. unless you have no TV at all.

personally I'm waiting for the technology to stabilize some in HDTV's.

too many issues plaguing all HDTV formats.

just my opinion.

it's entirely up to you and your wallet.

Mine happens to be the new NAD receivers.

I think NAD matches very well with klipsch. The NAD sounds phenominal, no doubt about that. I did have some problems with them though and here it goes. The first NAD T743 i got, a few of the buttons on the front of the receiver did not work. This is minor but still should not be for this mid to hi end brand. They along with the dealer, but NAD's choice, decided to give me a new one. Had it for a week and the whining noise that my dealer wanted to ignore as impossible, drove me crazy. Maybe all of the receivers by NAD do this and some people don't notice it, but my ears notice about anything. I complained again and they gave me the uprade to a new T753, $300 free for me. Hoping it wouldn't do it, it still did. I don't understand it and please don't tell me about no ground loop or nothing, because i have had a few receivers, and none of them did this. I talked to another dealer and they tried to help me more than the one i bought it from. The problem seems to be top secret. I have no idea what it is other than NAD needs to look at what the heck they are giving to their customers. I appreciate what they did, but with this being the first experience with NAD, it will deffinately be the last. I wasn't able to get my money back and i didn't want to trade it on anything else because the sound couldn't be matched, and i just didn't feel like messing with it anymore, so i still use it and will have to make do. For stereo it's fine, but for movies in quiet scenes or when u pause the dvd or during a quiet menu, u can hear this ridiculous noise. It's all coming from the surrounds. As much as i like there sound and features, from the experience i had, i can't recommend it to anyone. Sorry. I just don't want to anybody to experience the bad luck I have had. I wish i would have goin' with rotel. I have their rcd-1072 and no problems. What a relief. Sounds great to.

Well, let me say it sounds phenomenal in stereo especially because it doesn't do that noise then. Movies sound good to. It's just like i said in my previous message that when u pause a dvd and no sound is coming through then u notice it. When a movie is playing loudly u don't notice so the sound production of the movies and cd's is really good, it's the problem with something the receiver is producing internally that u notice at lower volumes or when a surround mode is chosen when nothing is being played through. It's kind of like a comparison to how old tube amps back in the 60's, they had a hiss to them, but people still listened to them. That's kind of the situation i am in. I wish i could figure out what it is, so i could fix it but i have no idea what it is causing this. I completely understand ur point but i have to live with it. I know what i said sounds contradictory, but it's true. Now i just try to ignore the whining noise which i wish i didn't have to do but i do. Hope this clears things up.

that doesn't sound too irritating. i understand your desire to remedy the situation though. wish i could help but i have zero experience with nad and therefor do not know if this is a common effect from their amps or something particular to you system. i have not heard that complaint about nad from anyone else in any forum. have you tried posting to the technical chapter of this forum?