Need Help/Advice from Owners of: Harman Kardon Receiver w/ Digital Sat. TV & Horn Center Channel Speaker...

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys...

I'm looking for feedback from owners of similar setups... Hopefully other HK receiver owners will chime in and let me know if I'm all alone here or not...

A while back, after adding an Harman Kardon AVR-7300 and a Klipsch RC-3II Center Channel to my theater setup, I've been noticing an issue with Television shows via my digital sat. service ...

While watching a show, I sometimes notice some form of rasp/crackling of a person's voice during dialog of a sceen coming from my Center Channel's (RC-3II) horn tweeter.
Everything appears to be set correctly, It's just that the Horn of the RC-3II seems to give an occassional slight crackle or pop with voice from Sat. TV shows...

I was using the Yamaha RX-V793 & RX-V1300 with an older KV-1 Klipsch Center Channel (NON Horn Center) for many years... I just don't recall ever noticing such rasp or crackle from television shows before...

After changing to the RC-3II and the HK 7300 ... I now notice this rasp or crackle that I'm mentioning...

This is my first time using a center with a Horn...so maybe this is normal but I've yet to adapt to the new sounds that I'm hearing during TV viewing...

I don't seem to notice this same effect while watching DVD's or listening to CD's...so I don't think the center is defective b/c she ROCKS OUT with all the Jazz, Rock, etc... that I can throw at her...

I've been playing with the Center Channel Crossover setting of the HK7300: I've tried 150 Mhz, 200 Mhz, and have now gone to 80 Mhz...

I currently have the Center X-over setting at 80 Mhz, and treble set to +2 and bass set to +2 ... Oh yes, the center is set to SMALL...All of my other Klipsch speakers (RP-5's & RF-3's) are set to LARGE...

I've also tried connecting the older (NON HORN) KV-1 center to the HK-7300 and this rasp/crackle that I sometimes notice isn't there. So, I think it all has to do with the Horn of the RC-3II ... Maybe I'm just not use to such a powerful, large sound coming from the center speaker ... and it appears that the imperfections from some sat. TV shows (especially some poor quality commercials) are just amplified by the imcrease in power, presence, and the fact that I have a large horn tweeter on my center.

I'm going to try a different sat. receiver as well as the Yamaha amp one more time to attempt to narrow down my issue...but first, I'm also going to perform the reset procedure on the AVR-7300 ...

I really would like to hear from others with similar setups that could let me know if they too notice this effect and if they did anything that helped...

Thanks,
TIM

I swapped out the sat. Receiver and still had the same sounds ...

I reset the HK 7300 per the manual and still had the same sounds...

This weekend I'll hook the Yamaha back up and see if the sounds I'm hearing go away or not...

Also, In another post I learned that someone else ran into a similar issue and eventually returned the HK for a replacement and this noise I'm referring to went away with the replacement unit...

-TIM

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

I had the same problem w/ the AVR500 a few years ago. After several months w/ Customer Service, I called the PR Contact and he addressed the issue. It has something to do with the Logic 7. Is it only in Logic 7?? The receiver was replaced and do not have the problem any more.

Mike

How do you have the satelite receiver hooked up? Is it connected with a digital output like a coaxial or optical output? If you are connected in this manner, you could try hooking it up with another connection ie: swap coaxial for optical, etc.

Can you try a friend's AV receiver to see if the problem goes away? Ditto for the directv receiver.

Michael,

Thanks for the reply...

I should have posted a follow up to this issue...

After working with HK reps for a while troubleshooting ideas... It was determined that my DSP Chip was not performing correctly (faulty) ... So, I was sent a new, replacement 7300 and my issues went away...

I'm very happy and no longer hear what I once did... The only imperfections that are ever heard now, are completely source related...

Thankfully all is well, if I had to replace these often...I'm sure my back would not be my friend any longer (This receiver weighs a ton!)...

Thanks again,

TIM