How good are QSC amplifiers?

I'm still not sure if it's the balanced issue or if it's because of the burned speaker post.. it seems worse in that channel. Plus there was this huge spark inside the amp. So now I don't even want to connect it to the speakers. I just want to get rid of it. Not to mention it smells like cigarette smoke when I have it on. I think I'm going to just get a Rotel or HK etc.. Tired of this no name brand amp..

Of course you are free to do as you choose!.

I hope that it is not because of the balanced to unbalanced issue!

...And it sounds like it might have been used and perhaps abused in a smoky club...

...But regarding QSC as a "no name brand amp"!?

Granted, this amp is NOT their PLX series, but I can think of quite a few amplifier companies that wish they had just one half of QSC's 'non-reputation'![:P]

QSC has a tech forum. You might want to head over there with some of this. Bill Lee does a pretty good job of staying on top of the forum and doesn't seem to mind addressing problems with their amps.

I liked the sound of QSC PLX-1602. It's the best solid state amp I've ever heard. The main thing that set it apart from other SS amps I've heard is the switching power suppy. No grain, no hash - just clean and open. Like most SS, it takes at least a quarter turn on the volume control to get the sound off the baffle and into the room. I found the amp engaging and enjoyed listening with it. However, I was driving it with The Peach, which tends to liquify just about anything you hook up to it.

Maybe worth repeating here--

That you don't need a 'balanced' output (preamp) to have a balanced connection (if you have a balanced amp). So, as Dragonfyr said, don't let the connectivity problem worry you. It should be easy to do--just need to get some cables made (or make them).

Mark

Edit: I just read your post about the 'spark' inside, etc......maybe you are right.....