Getting Anxious

lovedrummin

Well, I finally did it. Last week I ordered the Denon AVR 3802 reciever & Klipsch Reference RB5 II, RC3 II, RS3 II & a KSW12 sub (new Ref sub out of my price range & didn't want to push my luck with wife). The system should be in this week. Dealer only had Synergy line in stock as well as only a AVR 3801 (I'm after the DPL II feature). But I did my homework over the net and took the facts & figures when I went shopping. The B&M store didn't hesitate to match the internet prices. I'm sure they were checking the net while I was playing with their Klipsch speakers and my classic rock CDs. I can't wait to play/experiment. I'm almost certain my wife is going to quarantine me & my Klipschs in a room in the back of our house that is 11'x11'x8', so we don't get alot of visits from the neighbors & police. Hope I haven't gotten into too much overkill here with speakers vs room size. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Any suggestions concerning placement/mounting of the RS3 surrounds? Thanks in advance. I really enjoy this site & the info you guys provide has been very helpful in this wonderful journey towards audio/video nirvana.

You'll get diagrams with the speakers and the electronics.

I wouldn't get too alarmed about the room size. From what I read, some mixing studios are this size.

If I understand the setting, you'll probably have a sofa on the long wall and the mains will be just 8 feet in front of you.

If so, the surrounds will have to go at 90 degrees on either side (which puts them near a corner), or even a bit forward. Placing them 6 or 7 feet up would be a start. Putting them a bit forward is okay. They are "surrounds" and not "behinds." You'll see the diagrams.

I have a nagging suspicion there might be a need for all the damping and absorption you can afford. You might consider buying some economical rugs at Home Depot and hanging them on the walls. And it is nice decoration.

Congrats on the purchase. When it is set up, you may find you have a lot of visitors.

Let me sneak in a comment about wire. 16 gauge zip cord from Home Depot will do just fine. The issue is a lightening rod. But start with that. It is cheap to start and you can always upgrade later. (My pet peave. =8^o.)

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 09-30-2001 at 11:59 PM

lovedrummin,

Congrats on your recent purchase. Also check out your local Wal-Mart, Target & similar discount stores for decorative bath mats. These are often available as standard or oversized mats. They also make great wall hangings. They will serve quite nicely as damping and absorption materials.

Wes

Gil & Wes,

Thanks for the suggestions on the damping & absorption materials. Wall hangings - kinda takes me back a couple of decades (ok three decades but who's counting).

I don't know about the sofa in the room. I was picturing a chair/recliner about 7-8 feet back. I keep picturing the old Maxell tape ads with the guy sitting facing the speakers with his hair blowing back. Let's see a table on one side for the remote control(s) & one of those small dorm refrigerators on the other side for the brew(s).

I was thinking about making a couple temporary 6' wooden stands for the surrounds so I can move them around some to find out where I really want them before I actually mount them on the walls. Don't know if this will work or not. In reference to wire, I have a 100' roll of Monster Cable XPMS wire I bought about a year ago when I originally began drooling over this system and was thinking about pre-wiring another room which didn't work out. I don't know what gauge it is.

Thanks again for the replies. If you think of anything else I need to consider let me know. This site has been a real (fun) education.

LEW (lovedrummin)

Gil

I probably should have mentioned that the room is 11'x11' square with 8' floor to ceiling. I know this isn't the best room configuration, but this is where I will probably have to put the HT equipment to keep wife happy. The walls are just drywall & I'm sure you guys are right about it needing some absorption help. The floor has wall to wall carpet which may absorb a little. I'm wondering how the carpet (not real deep or plush) is going to impact the down-firing sub.

Thanks again for the input.

Lew

I began with a KSW 12, it's downfiring and it worked really well on my carpeted floor. Have since added an SVS 20-39cs. But the biggest impact on the KSW 12 was its placement. To maximize its bass impact, place the sub in your primary seating spot, then slowly walk around the room and determine where in the room you hear and feel the biggest bass impact. That position will be the preferred location to put your sub.

If you add damping & absorption materials after performing this procedure, just redo the above steps.

Happy listening...Wes

Wes & Gil,

Thanks for the info on the sub, carpet & sub placement.

The store called tonight & advised that the Denon 3802 is in but they're still waiting on the speakers. I live about an hour away from the store so I think I'm going to wait & pick up everything in one trip - maybe.

I think experimenting & playing with the system is going to be half of the fun. I have a pretty extensive collection of music that I'm anxious to hear all over again. My old system (Harman Kardon receiver & Bose 601 speakers) is 21 years old. This should be like night & day. Plus I'll actually be able to watch DVDs with 5.1 sound instead of stereo.I think I'm entering a whole new world.

Thanks again guys.

Lew