KL-650-THX all around?

bmilbrandt

I'm thinking of going with seven KL-650-THX speakers all around in my home theater. How would this work? My layout is good for the proper locations of the speakers - i.e. three across the front, two at the sides, and two in the rear - so that isn't an issue. Would it be better to use the KS-525's at the sides?

My goal is to have the best scenario for HT and High Rez music, that being identical speakers all around. I already have the pair of Klipsch Ultra 2 subs with amp.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

FYI - the front three speakers would be stand mounted, while the four surrounds would be wall mounted.

All I can say is wow!. It might be overkill, but surely it won't sound bad. Anytime you can have all the speakers the same you are headed in the right direction. I have heard (i.e. read not listened to) that they make killer HT speakers but are not the best for music. What is your music to movie ratio? 50/50 60/40 75/25 is music or movies higher?

BTW if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the 2 subs and amps...that is my long term sub goal.

Keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out. Good Luck!

" Would it be better to use the KS-525's at the sides?"

I haven't heard the Klipsch THX speakers but I'd think that would depend upon how close you are to the sides.

If you have some breathing room between the listening position(s) and the sides you could probably go either way with satisfactory results. It will really depend upon if you personally prefer direct radiators or di-poles at the sides. Some like it one way, some like it the other.

If you are fairly close to the sides and/or need to cover multiple rows a wider dispersion design at the sides might work out better for you. If you don't like the di-pole effect at the sides a bi-polar radiator (like the RS series) might be a good fit. The wider dispersion will give more coverage and could avoid being distracting like a direct radiator that is too close can be. It may also help to elevate the sides fairly high on the wall if you are fairly close.

It is one of those things that will depend fairly heavily on the user(s) and the room. I've had good results in different rooms with both direct and bi-polar designs. Personally I have never cared much for di-pole surrounds but that is me, plenty others really like them.

Shawn

IF you can do it.. all the same is the best. Simply put, the Timbre will just be exactly on. And the bigger 650's over the other set too for more of a full range sound. I might be tempted to try the di poles for the surround sides... again it is personal taste vs room choice too..

(Movie Screen)

Left Sub Center Sub Right

Di Pole left Seats Di pole right....

Surround back left.. Surround back right..

============================================================================

OR....

THIS also works.. (my set up and preference, I have speaker wires in place if I change my mind later..)

No side surrounds..

(Movie screen here 106")

Left sub Center sub Right

Seats

Left Sur. Right Sur.

Left Back Right Back

There is something about the depth that really feels better here.. Concerts feel like your 4 rows back and the room feels larger than it is.. Movies also seem like on a 106" screen 14- 16 feet back your in a much bigger place...

Again just my opinion, but I am running 7 split la scalas and the Klipsch KA 1000 amp with the KW THX subs..(2) just like your suggesting.. All the same it is seamless... The surround backs are fired straight to the fronts filling in the room..where the left and right backs are toed in slightly to the center of the HT seats.

This room I had constructed does not have straight back walls as you can see they angle in. (This I hope also will help with room acoustics..not to have a perfect rectangle..) we will see.. Everything around speakers will have insulation behind the cloth as well. replections and some sound absorbtion from those firing the other way.. The room was 17 x 30 before scrims.. Interior now finished.,.(what the room is after speakers behind the material is closer to 17 x 26 now. Seats are 16 feet back from the screen it feels comfortable big but not too big and hopefully will turn out really well.

Ovation audio has a HT setup kinda close to this.. So did the Klipsch room 2 years ago.. I took some ideas from both.. Read a lot from HT books...Looked at finshed rooms off of here and in CEDIA award competition winning books too.. Then I looked at the graphs for potential room nodes and everyone elses suggestions.. I just hope it is/ was the right thing to do. Bottom line, it has to sound good for you too. For me.. I did get to hear it with a 5.1 setup when I just had insulation.. even then breathtaking.. I can only imagine it now.. and will in just a few more days.. Ask me after the 18th...

This was back when I was thinking of going to it with 5 vertical Cornwalls and 2 regular Cornwalls. Now with the La Scalas all around and subs.. We will have a real test blow out for a clear winner! The Cornwalls look small sitting on the chairs, but it is a big room.

post-5910-13819273555846_thumb.jpg

I forgot, here is what the rear looks like you can see the angled walls in the rears.. insulation in.. Also I wanted to point out that the ceiling does not touch the above floor too. So kind of a room within a room. I hope this keeps some of the sound from traveling throughout the rest of the house too. Then again 7 scalas and the THX subs.. If wanted to some major SPL's possible..LOL..

post-5910-13819273561376_thumb.jpg

No reason it wouldn't work unless your seat spacing from the side walls

is particularly close. We did a 5.1 system with all 650's for a client

and it sounded GREAT...not that the 525's don't do a pretty credible

job in the rear as long as you spend some time with bass

management...but the system really breathes with that combo. It is what

we'll be doing in our new (under construction) reference demo space (a

1000 ft2 demo theater with Ultra 2, Reference and Heritage surround

systems).

just wanted to chime in and mention that the ultra's are my favorite sounding speaker (even for music)...moreso than any of the heritage or reference I've heard and I've heard some amazing setups.

Going with identical speakers all around sounds like the way to go...

Since you're spending so much money on the audio, what steps have you taken to the construction of the room? You sound like an optimum candidate for the room modelling that dragonfyr is always telling everyone is stupid for not doing. but seriously, what's the point of having awesome speakers if you don't get the room right? At the very least you need to implement non-parallel walls.