McIntosh C2200 strangeness

steve

Well, I bought the C2200 a couple of months back, and haven't posted my findings on it yet, as I have been listening to it as much as possible, and didn't want to make a statement I would later retract, as some do after purchasing new gear. i wanted to give it( "it" being me!)time to burn in! Anyway, I have this weird phenomenon going on with this preamp.

When I first turned it on, and played (choose your favorite CD here) it sounded a little "muffled", maybe veiled, to use other reviewers words..now I kinda understand it. Thinking it would change, or I would get used to it..I played it, and played it..some selections sounded great, some sounded bad, I just attributed it to the nature of the preamp. It was less fatiguing, no doubt, because there were less high frequencies.

Until yesterday. I got the bright idea of playing an LP, as the reviews on the C2200 stated the phono section was something less than desired. Well, the highs were there on the phono input! I chose record after record, and marvelled at the "lost" high frequency. I then bypassed all tone controls, and "trimmed" the inputs so i could switch back and forth between CD and phono inputs, and queued up the same selection in both formats..and voila! The LP came out with a higher resolution than the CD format! This is 180 out from any other preamp I have ever owned. Usually the CD has a higher resolution .

I am inclined to think something is wrong with the preamp..and have even emailed McIntosh about my concerns..they are willing to help me out, but of course that means sending the preamp back to them. I have no problem with that..but..I am posting here to see if anyone has any ideas what the problem could be? or if anyone else has experienced this!

Thanx in advance!

Steve

it certainly does sound like something is wrong. I had the furtune to audition that preamp in NYC not long ago with LP and CD and heard no such difference in sound between formats. BTW I left really wanting to buy that preamp for my system! send it back for repair. regards, tony

well..I have other problems, which I will post..but to end my own thread I think I know why the difference in CD/LP comparisons. The phono input on the C2200 is for MM cartridges, and I have a MC cartridge..McIntosh says I need a minimum of 4.0mv..and I looked at the specs of my Ortofon, and it says 2.2mv output..so maybe I am just getting a weak signal, so I can't compare the two..however that's the least of my problems. Please see my thread "at wit's end" and see if you can help!!

Thanx

Steve

I find it hard to believe McIntosh would build a modern preamp that has to have 4mV output from the phono cartridge. This really shouldn't be your problem. It may not be Ideal but it really only means you have to crank the main volume control up higher to reach the same level as your CDP. The EQ should still be good to go.

Craig