Ok, I'm SET now

laurenc319

When I listened to Dee's Wrights, I was more pleased with the sound of the Sylvania black plate, engraved base than the RCA black plate (not the engraved base though) or the Sovteks which IMO came in above the RCAs. That's in my room with my system YMMV.

I also liked the Valve Arts somewhat, a little lean in the bass with crystaline highs. If you are bi-amping or using a sub this would be a very inexpensive alternative.

Rick

Rick,

I will not quibble between the Sylvania and the RCA. Leo has a pair of Sylvania 2A3 tubes he's very found of also. I also have a pair of Rogers branded 2A3 tubes, purchased for $65 that I rate above the Sovtek, so I think there are many vintage 2A3's available. RCA also made a plentiful number of 2A3 tubes with other names on the tube, but the point is, vintage blackplates are considered the best sounding 2A3 tubes by many. Every individuals mileage may varry.

BTW, there is another current production 2A3 tube on the market branded JJ. They are not cheap like the Sovtek, but priced more like vintage RCAs. I have a pair on the way out of sheer curiosity from some low level industry buzz. Supposed to be a long life tube with high output capability. I'll know more in a couple of weeks, after they arrive.

Klipsch out.