Interesting reading

TBrennan

I've been saying this for the last 25+ years. It's no coincidence that for centuries we've spent so much time, effort and money building great auditoriums for the performing arts. While I'm glad to see that in recent years this is getting more attention, it still seems most audiophiles choose to ignore it, or think they can create some kind of component synergy that will make up for it, or make other excuses for not giving this more attention, which is kind of like putting the cart before the horse. You cannot have superior sound (production or reproduction) without the proper acoustics.

Interesting article, especially since some 300 odd loudspeakers makers still thrive in a A/V industry dominated by giants like Sony, Bose, Klipsch and the JBL/HARMON KARDON juggernaut.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Who is responsible for the dumbing down of the consumer product? Sony, Apple and 5.1 make audio cuter, cheaper, more convenient but not better.

Is it really dumbing down?

The iPod marketing revolution brings quick and easy digital downloads to the users PC or digital players fingertips. Ok, the sound is not great, but the music is cheaper. But compared to the warbling, scratchy, rumbling, finicky and wearing out sound of 12 vinyl discs on my first $40 turntable it is just as good. A lot more choices and no expensive cartridges to replace either. In fact, a iPod with a Klipsch stereo docking station is a pretty neat solution for a beginner system.

Is the quality getting any better?

Although while more convenient, are even the top systems getting better? Sure, we have new digital amplifiers coming along, at the same price as before, but is the sound improving? Six moons has very interesting loudspeakers systems, like horn loaded single drivers that look like pictures on a wall and tube loaded ones from Gingko Audio, but are they any better?

Seems like the A/V stores, in their zeal to sell $2,500 TVs, have left off the part where the large picture really needs an audio system of matching quality

The again, when was the last time you heard a sound system so amazingly good, that you would prefer it to the live, albeit with horrible audiophile qualities, event? (I have heard only a few such dream systems: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0902/deprecating.htm

[H]

hmmmnn ....

makes all of that arguing about SET Vs. PP Vs. SS ..........

kinda meaningless ....

and re-inforces how important the Room setup is ......[;)]

I have always maintained that speakers are the most important component. That's why I have Khorns. And the room and speaker interaction make up about 90%. Amplifiers are important and help in achieving that 5% extra. Cables, Caps, wires are neglible. I have Home Depot wire and have been called 'deaf' by more than one audiofool.

I have no problems hearing differences between SS, PP or SET amps. Cables, I have a real problem with. I go with the cheapies.