cheap foam

colterphoto1

"Cut the plastic and stand back- it's a FOAM EXPLOSION!"

See... I told you that was fun. ;)

I keep meaning to pick up some of their corner blocks. How thick is it at the thickest point?

BTW, when you get around to putting up the foam for real if you need to cut it pick up an electric carving knife. It zips through the foam very well and makes trimming it to size/shape much easier.

Shawn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cut the plastic and stand back- it's a FOAM EXPLOSION!" See... I told you that was fun. ;) I keep meaning to pick up some of their corner blocks. How thick is it at the thickest point? BTW, when you get around to putting up the foam for real if you need to cut it pick up an electric carving knife. It zips through the foam very well and makes trimming it to size/shape much easier. Shawn

From a mounting perspective, the long sides are 11 1/4 and 11 3/4. They are 23 3/4 tall, quite a big hunk-o foam.

From a thickness of foam perspective, the two tallest peaks in the center of the formation are 7 and 8" thick foam. I'd say the average thickness is around 4-6", so this might do the trick on some lower frequencies than the 4" V foam.

I plan on stacking all four in the worst corner of my basement, then arranging shirred fabric around them so it looks like a fluted column with an uplight shining on it.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

DrWho was over this weekend. I'd piled all the foam up in an unused bookcase directly behind the four coaster recliners. It was either VVVV facing outward, or packed solidly together in alternate openings in the bookcase, about 6 feet wide and to the ceiling. AWESOME haveing a totally dead wall behind you. Of course this was ridiculously thick, with sections one full foot deep, like the bass traps. BUT I LIKED IT.

Going to get some el cheapo foamcore board tomorrow. WIll build two 4x4 foot panels of 16 squares for first experiment.

The bass traps are great, but I've not been able to install them in a bothersome corner yet.

Michael H- wasn't it fun cutting open that package wooohhhoooo[:o]

Michael