Klipsch RF-7

Mzzzi99

I am fairly new to HT area and I am currently building the system. The TV will be Sony SXRD50 LCD and, being a long time Klipsch fan, I am thinking of RF-7 system (fronts, center, surrounds and sub). The receiver will be Yamaha RX-V2500. The room is 16x16 with high celing. The floor is wood. The budget is not an issue. The system will mostly be used as a theatre/movies.

Is RF-7 an overkill in this size of a room?

Does RX-V2500 pair well with RF-7 system?

Any suggestions?

Thx ... J

Nope, not overkill...my room is smaller than that with 8' ceilings, and the RF-7's kick fanny.

That center is pretty large from what I have seen, placement is just a matter of getting the stuff set-up right.

Will be a kick a system, I am upgrading to full R*-7 system one component at a time...

K

Sounds pretty good to me except maybe pairing the RF-7's with the Yamaha. I used Yamaha to start with my 7's and found it too bright for my taste. It was ok at lower volumes but when I played it loud[:D] it was too much. And I have a carpeted floor with an 8 ft ceiling. Others like it that way so maybe you will also. Anyway enjoy![:)]

Welcome to the Forum Mzzzi99.

I agree with the previous posters. My room is slightly smaller than yours with a high A-Frame ceiling and I have everything in my signature crammed in it.

Some people like the Yamaha receivers, but I have more of a preference for the Denons after trying both. That being said I also think an older model is more cost effective (Denon AVR 4802R or Denon AVR-3803, in that order) than the newer ones that have more bells and whistles.

Insofar as your surrounds you may wish to consider RB-75 Bookshelf speakers Vs. the RS-7 WDST surrounds (or even another set of towers if you can swing it). You may not--both are good speakers. Another advantage to the Denons are that you can hook up 2 sets of side surrounds (which I have done), along with the rear channels. Some folks think it may be overkill--but we all gotta go sometime. [6]

RF-7 system ("as is") is acoustically well balanced in my opinion:

Floorstanding speakers RF-7

Center speaker RC-7

Surround speakers RS-7

Subwoofer RSW-15

However .... just an idea .... maybe a pair of subs ... RSW-15's? That would even out the sound .. however .... may demolish my house in the porocess ;).

I did listen to Yamaha unit paired with this setup and it sounded good. Hopefully it will sound the same at my house.

J

RF-7 system ("as is") is acoustically well balanced in my opinion:

Floorstanding speakers RF-7

Center speaker RC-7

Surround speakers RS-7

Subwoofer RSW-15

However .... just an idea .... maybe a pair of subs ... RSW-15's? That would even out the sound .. however .... may demolish my house in the porocess ;).

I did listen to Yamaha unit paired with this setup and it sounded good. Hopefully it will sound the same at my house.

J

It sounds like you have your mind made up and don't need any other opinions--Go for it. [;)] As for having 2 subs--I would spend the extra money on upgrading the receiver and adding a second pair of side {edit: and/or rear} surrounds --but again that is just me.[:)]

J

Most of the time I find the gear sounds better when I get it home than

it did in the store. Most stores cram too much into one room, and the

acoustics suffer. When I got my first pair of RF-7s, the store's room

sounded so bad I had to use the RF-5s they had on display as a basis

for comparison, as I had a pair at home and knew how they sounded

properly setup. Not saying your store or all stores are like that, just

that it's too common.

Enjoy your new setup.

A perfectly square room is not the best for sound in general. You may need room treatments etc.

The RF-7s are great home theater speakers, but they are very power hungry. They work best with a good subwoofer and an RC-7 center channel.

Bill

This could be incredible if setup well with proper acoustical treatments - or a nightmare with all those reflective surfaces in a square room with hardwood floors. Please don't tell us this is a two-story room at about 16' high! I would not invest in subs until you tame the room's acoustics.

Add a heavy area rug and heavy drapes to your shopping list to start with...

Otherwise, sign me up for the grand opening!

I sure will invest in some of the room treatments. However, the investment in the system is primarely geard towards my new house which will have dedicated theatre room.

On the other hand ..... one never knows .... maybe at that point i will consider THX Ultra2. :).

I appreciate your suggestions.

J

On the other hand ..... one never knows .... maybe at that point i will consider THX Ultra2. :).

I don't have a large HT room but was considering the Denon AVR 5803 or the Yamaha Z-1. Then I heard about the Denon AVR- 4802R, THX ultra 2, 7 channel receiver. I purchased it for about half the cost of those others. I have owned it for 2 years and don't feel the need to upgrade. The downside is, it's replacement is about $4,000 (AVR 4806) and outside of video switching and auto room EQ adjustments, isn't a very good bang for your buck, IMHO.

Mzzi99,

The budget is no issue..........

I wish i could say that ! ! ! !

Ben

Hey Ben, Did you purchase your speakers in the Netherlands? I was camping there last month at Gaasperplas (outside Amsterdam) and couldn't find a local Klipsch dealer. I'm coming back --any help would be appreciated. [:)]

An RF-7 based system is awesome...my best seller! I agree with all the

other posters...room treatment is going to be needed, particularly bass

traps. You may want to check out a few things as alternatives...

First, think about the THX Ultra 2 sub setup (KA-1000, KW-120's). Has

more control, gets deeper than the RSW-15 and has boundary control to

help with uneven response. A pair of them will do some scary things in

your room and realistically it won't cost that much more than a pair of

RSW-15's.

Second, check out the Danley Labs TH-112 sub. It is a tapped horn

design that will fit in your space and will give you more speed and

control (not to mention WAY more output). It goes well with RF-7's. A

single one with an amp will run you about $2K. It will do 130 DB at 38

hz and about 120 at 20. It is...um...adequate. Scary part is...it is

the SMALL version!

Yamaha...definitely not the best match. If you need to stick with recievers, check

out the Sherwood R-965 with SNAP room EQ. Sounds surprisingly good with

our Ref 7 system here.

Last but not least...unlimited budget? How about a LaScala II/ Heresy III system with the Danley Labs or Ultra 2 subs?

tdkamerica,

Look for www.ruad-hifi.nl

They have the complete RF-7 system.

But you wil not find a dealer with the Heritage-line on the floor .

Personally i don't see that as a problem .

Because when you are interested you can always contact the importer.

The Heritage line will always be the most important line for me .

Now with the new Heritage even more .

It is not a perfect speaker but the sound is overwhelming .

I think for hometheater the RF-7 is a winner !

For stereo it is fantastic with great detail.

Bennyboy

Ben,

Thanks for the link. I am familiar with the Klipsch speaker lines (although it appears you guys are getting the first look at the Premier line) and like to go into stores and talk Home Theater and audio. I am a big Vincent Van Gogh fan and just wanted one more reason to visit Amsterdam again. [;)]

As I stated earlier, my wife and I went camping there last month (one of my numerous trips to the Netherlands) and had GREAT weather even though the forecast was for rain most of those days. I also enjoy going to the Kroller Museum, in the Hoge Vellue (can't remember the spelling and I haven't figured out how to make umlauts;-) park outside of Arnhem. You live in a very beautiful country and it looks like you have a nice setup. [:)]

How large of following does Klipsch have in the Netherlands? Do people over there really purchase the Heritage line without hearing them?