Sound Cards

AnalOg

Not sure if the 2 channel forum is the appropriate site to post this, but I value this groups responses, so here goes.

I have a Sound Blaster Live card (not sure if its 24bit, if that even matters for playback) in my current office computer, would it benefit me sonically to change out the sound card to something else. I have Itunes playing into a sonic impact amplifying a set of klipsch SB-1's.

I know the computer is my weakest link, I played with the EQ settings in Itunes , as most music sounds veiled and uninviting, its a little better but still pretty sterile, any suggestions.

Tom

I would highly recommend this

http://www.digitraxx.com/ma_audiophile2496.html

Or one of there other fine products. I listen to MP3's when working in my shop with IMHO some great gear driving the speakers and for casual listening its pretty darn incredible. I have had many people comment that it sounds wonderful and ask is that your CD player..... In fact with poorly done recorded CD material I think it's actually better. Definitely beats the shit out of the classic rock stations signals through my fully rebuilt and tweaked tube tuner.

Craig

Anal (been dying to reply to you like this)

Maybe this will strike your fancy. If your interested I will sell you my 2496 card for $75 so I can upgrade to the 192 card they make. It has some connections I would like to have and also I wouldn't mind the 192Khz feature. I have the card, box and all other things that came with it.

Craig

would it benefit me sonically to change out the sound card to something else.

most definitely.

Looking for some suggestions on sound card models.

Tom

depending on your price range, the most popular cards for "music playback" would have to be the

e-mu 0404

24/96 (as the other guy suggested)

audiophile 192

and e-mu 1212

from my research, the 192 seems to be the best out of these four cards for the LS. it can also be had for around only $120 on amazon. the best and most expensive solution would be an external DAC and using an inexpensive soundcard with decent digital output solely as a transport.

I'll second the M-Audio cards. I upgraded from an Audigy 2 to a

Revolution 7.1 and found it to be a very worthwhile upgrade. If you're

looking for new, newegg has good prices on the revolution card.

If you don't mind a used card, I'd take Craig up on his offer. Thats a good price for that card.