Marantz Model 9 or Tube Research Labs amps?

drefrank

Wondering if any one has had any experience with Tube Research Labs products - preferably their (smaller) amplifiers - hooked up to Klipsch speakers. I'm thinking about selling my 9's and getting into something a bit more modern - still tubes though. I realize the 9's are classics, but there will come a day when I have to get them updated anyway (that day has not yet arrived). I have a CD player that was modified by TRL, and it sounds great. I've also read about the quality of their electronics. Any input would be appreciated.

You Marantz 9's, if they are in really nice shape are worth a bloody FORTUNE (about 12-15 THOUSAND dollars!) and unless you NEED the money don't sell them! Believe me, I know! I sold a pair of these in the early 1980's because I needed to put a new transmission in my truck. I should have borrowed the money from my father and KEPT the amps!! I regret selling them to this day.

What makes you think you would like a more "modern" amp and what makes you think this modern stuff would be more reliable?

KEEP YOUR MARANTZ NINES!

b0009.jpg

Allan is right on the money! Quit double guessing what you have there. If your system is boring you start playing with other aspects of it. The amp is not the problem unless of course the time really has come. The amps will work (play music) long after they should. The sound degrades very slowly and you may not realize it. You should at the very least get under there and take some reference voltages to insure its reasonably close to spec.

Modern tube amps for the most part are not going to improve your sound at all. In fact the reverse is more likely...well unless I built them[;)]

Craig

not only are the 9s worth a lot but they represent the absolute state of the art attempt by Sid Smith...no holds barred...If you like any other maratnz products (the model 2s, model 8bs, etc.) you have to keep the 9s...If you are feeling "upgradie" refresh the 9s with high end caps and wiring and invest in NOS Mullards all around...that should do it...If not, sell them....hundreds of people will line up to buy them, I would kill for a pair. regards, tony

If nothing else, the Nines will hold their value. Odds are, the Tube Research Amps will not. (Anybody remember Paoli? or Theta? or Dennesen? or Precision Fidelity? They were, I'm sure, all fine amplifiers, but today you'd have a hard time if you decided you didn't want them around any more.)