Set list... what do you think?

ben.

1<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

· Beyond the Blues - Coco Montoya

· New Walkin Blues - Paul Butterfield

· She Caught the Katy - Taj Mahal

· Born Under a Bad Sign - more Freddy King than Cream

· Born in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Chicago - Butterfield (I think)

· Im Tore Down - Clapton

· Strut - Taj & Jimmy Smith

· Before the Bullets Fly - Son Seals

· Bad Case of Love - BB King

· Leap of Faith - Delbert McClinton

· Boom Boom Boom Boom - Animals (we end by morphing into How Many More Times for 8 bars)

· Funky B!tch - Son Seals

· Pride & Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn

· Hooked on You - Albert Collins

· Gotta Get it Worked On - Delbert

· Rockin Daddy - Howlin' Wolf

· Monkey/Lime/Sally/Lime (an implausible but effective medley of Monkey Time (Boz Skaggs) Lime in the Coconut, and Mustang Sally)

· Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Joe Zawinul

· Give Your Woman What She Wants - Taj Mahal

· Youre Lookin Good - Howlin' Wolf

· Ridin with the King - Tom Waits

· I Aint Drunk - Albert Collins?

· Now You Got It - Freddy King?

· Keep Your Hands Off Her - Taj Mahal

· The Thrill is Gone - BB

· Shotgun Blues - I forget- some younger blues guy

· Tumbleweed - Coco Montoya

· Nothin but a Noose - Howlin Wolf

· Last Four Nickels - Son Seals

· I Aint Got You - Yardbirds

· Pack It Up - Alvin Bishop?

Encore

· Too Rolling Stoned - Robin Trower

· Blues Come Knockin - Govt Mule

Some of these I forgot who did them. Fill in the blanks if you can for me.

I'm not sure about the provenance of several of those tunes. The other guys play me a recording a few times, then I don't really hear it anymore other than when we rehearse the tune. I don't listen to a whole lot of blues, but it's all they listen to. I always thought the idea was to just play music, not someone else's version of music anyhow. I brought in the Taj material and I keep hanging on to Thrill is Gone, as I just love to play minor blues. It's nice that even the typical tunes like Mustang Sally just sound different.

You play too, don't you?

I'm not sure about the provenance of several of those tunes. The other guys play me a recording a few times, then I don't really hear it anymore other than when we rehearse the tune. I don't listen to a whole lot of blues, but it's all they listen to. I always thought the idea was to just play music, not someone else's version of music anyhow. I brought in the Taj material and I keep hanging on to Thrill is Gone, as I just love to play minor blues. It's nice that even the typical tunes like Mustang Sally just sound different.

You play too, don't you?

Yes sir, I've played bass for a zillion years[;)] But I also play a little guitar. BB is a favorite of mine, but I really enjoy Elmore James, the rawness (is that a word) strikes me.

You play too, don't you?

Yes sir, I've played bass for a zillion years[;)] But I also play a little guitar. BB is a favorite of mine, but I really enjoy Elmore James, the rawness (is that a word) strikes me.

Big Time Ditto on that TRon---

Elmore's songs can tend to sound alike with that signature riff of his going through many of his songs---

BUT (and that's a big BUT) his singing and guitar performance just kicks, He and Bobby Bland are my favorite all-time blues vocalists-- nobody out there today comes even close to what they did fifty years ago--

For this list---if you have a vocalist that can sing it, the best blues vocal tune ever is "Little Boy Blue" by Bobby Blue Bland.

He acts cavalier at the beginning but keeps remembering how much this forsaken girl was good to him--At the end, he's screaming "She used to call me Bobby--Bobby" ---just gets me everytime.

Its on Two Steps from the Blues and many compilationss-- check it out--if you like raw, it starts cool and smooth and builds to RAW--

You play too, don't you?

Elmore's songs can tend to sound alike with that signature riff of his going through many of his songs---

BUT (and that's a big BUT) his singing and guitar performance just kicks, He and Bobby Bland are my favorite all-time blues vocalists-- nobody out there today comes even close to what they did fifty years ago--

For this list---if you have a vocalist that can sing it, the best blues vocal tune ever is "Little Boy Blue" by Bobby Blue Bland.

He acts cavalier at the beginning but keeps remembering how much this forsaken girl was good to him--At the end, he's screaming "She used to call me Bobby--Bobby" ---just gets me everytime.

Its on Two Steps from the Blues and many compilationss-- check it out--if you like raw, it starts cool and smooth and builds to RAW--

BIG TIME AGREEMENT ON THE BOBBY BLUE BLAND

theryugobuddy, you need to start a blues blog thread

never heard of any of the songs or even any of the artists [:P]

...den you don't know da blues---

ah, that explains it....I don't think I'm old enough yet to fully appreciate the blues [;)][:P]

You don't have to be old, just sit back and give it a chance, start with BB King, he's pretty diverse, I've heard him on country radio stations[:^)] Live at Cook County Jail is a great place to start. John Lee Hooker is another. Hooker 'n' Heat is a good one.

We need a good blues thread[;)]

never heard of any of the songs or even any of the artists [:P]

...den you don't know da blues---

ah, that explains it....I don't think I'm old enough yet to fully appreciate the blues [;)][:P]

God no--some of my favorite songs of Led Zeppelin were their blues numbers--I liked them when I was 15. And I loved Stevie Ray and Robert Cray in my twenties--

But--you're right, too-- I didn't really get into blues until later when I wanted to hear the inspirations of my favorite rock bands --The Rolling Stones, Zep, Allman Brothers, Black Crowes, Stevie Ray Vaughan didn't just make the stuff up --they emulated these old black bluesmen that came before them-- When I started hearing more of those bluesmen from the 50s and 60s, I did appreciate them more. Alot of times because their original version of a song was better than a version covered --or stolen--by a much more popular band that came later. Of course, those old black bluesmen starved while the whites got rich--

Look up a guy named Willie Dixon--he wrote and played bass for an incredible number of blues classics including most of Chuck Berry's hits--but he's unknown--that was part of the deal for alot of these guys but they still created great timeless blues--

But you don't have to appreciate the blues to like it--there's alot of kick *** blues tunes out there--

You ever heard of Taj Majal--get his Best of on Columbia, or the Best of the Fabulous Thunderbirds on Chrysalis--not the later one, or The Butterfield Blues Band's first album--all killer--

And I love a hard to find 3-CD set called Chicago-the Blues Today on Vanguard--that is so good--

If you don't like them, you don't like the blues--

Just a-rambling on da blues---

Ok, I know johnny lee hooker "boom boom boom boom" and it's pretty cool. Is all his stuff like that?

I'm not a big country fan though so that scares me with BB King (who I've never heard of).

Hooker's stuff is mostly like that--his deep booming voice and usually a good guitar droning on

BB King is probably the most famous blues guy ever, save Muddy Waters-- he played with U2 on Rattle and Hum--

he just did a CD with Eric Clapton "Riding with the King" a few years ago--pretty good...

You play too, don't you?

BIG TIME AGREEMENT ON THE BOBBY BLUE BLAND

theryugobuddy, you need to start a blues blog thread

Check these out:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/555363/ShowPost.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/2/577712/ShowPost.aspx#577712

alot of blues recommendations had by all--

Ok, I know johnny lee hooker "boom boom boom boom" and it's pretty cool. Is all his stuff like that?

I'm not a big country fan though so that scares me with BB King (who I've never heard of).

PLEASE, PLEASE go listen to some BB King samples, he is NOT country, he says more with one note than Van Halen does with a 40 second riff.. Also listen to what thereyougobuddy said, Willie Dixon wrote some tunes you love, you just heard them by the likes of Zeppelin, Clapton, Cream, Hendrix ect.. Muddy water....what can you say, hes amazing. Howling Wolf, for more modern blues see.... Jeff Healy, Robin Trower, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Stevie Ray...just remeber these guys got thier chops from the old masters.

Probably the best contemporary blues band right now is the Holmes Brothers-- they sound the most vital of all them. Great guitar and guttural vocals and they like a danceable beat---

Whenever I've heard Coco Montoya, Ronnie Earl, Walter Trout, Shemekia Copeland, and the like they don't catch my imagination. I couldn't tell you why--they just sound too slick or formulaic IMHO. Especially Shemekia--she can belt it out, but she doesn't touch her father in the soul department.

I don't even like all of the old blues--even though Chess produced the most classic blues recordings in the 50s and 60s, I tend to not really like the sound. Too clinical--sometimes. But that's where the biggest treasure trove of blues "hits" would be found--

Yet, I've never heard a Vanguard recording that I didn't love--and you find alot of Big Walter Horton there, my fave harmonica player. He's head and shoulders above Little Walter to me -- much better than Little walter, who was much better known.

And hey, TRon, the riffs from Van Halen before Sammy were godlike-- alot more monstrous than Lucille--

Man--this place is like therapy--

Speaking of Willie Dixon--he's got a box set with three CDs of alot of his songs done by Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Otis Rush, Bo Diddley, Koko Taylor,Sonny Boy Williamson etc--all songs he wrote--Back Door Man, Mellow Down Easy, My Babe, Little Red Rooster, Spoonful, You Shook Me, Bring It On Home, I'm Ready, I Can't Quit You Baby--songs that Zep, Cream, the Animals, Stones, and many more covered til the cows came home--

Its called the Chess Box--with killer sound--

None of the Chuck Berry is here because he didn't write the songs--amazing though that he produced and played bass on all of Berry's early stuff--

Anybody would like it because you've heard many of the songs before--by other artists--

Speaking of Willie Dixon--he's got a box set with three CDs of alot of his songs done by Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Otis Rush, Bo Diddley, Koko Taylor,Sonny Boy Williamson etc--all songs he wrote--Back Door Man, Mellow Down Easy, My Babe, Little Red Rooster, Spoonful, You Shook Me, Bring It On Home, I'm Ready, I Can't Quit You Baby--songs that Zep, Cream, the Animals, Stones, and many more covered til the cows came home--

Its called the Chess Box--with killer sound--

None of the Chuck Berry is here because he didn't write the songs--amazing though that he produced and played bass on all of Berry's early stuff--

Anybody would like it because you've heard many of the songs before--by other artists--

I have that.....I would buy it again in a second!!!