Tone control discovery

wuzzzer

My new (to me) HK 730 is doing great after fixing 98% of the crackling volume knob problem.

I found out something while fiddling with the bass/treble tone controls. The bass control knob looks like it is set up at it is supposed to, lines up with the little markings for its lowest and highest points (7 o'clock lowest and 5 o'clock highest). The treble, however, is way out of alignment. At its lowest setting, the indicator mark on the knob is pointing at about the 5 o'clock position, when it should be pointing at the 7 o'clock position. The highest point is around the 3 o'clock position. After roughly figuring where the mid-way point should be (10 o'clock) the high frequencies sound MUCH better.

Watching Phantom of the Opera tonight gave me chills as the music and singing was incredibly full of depth.

Is there any way to safely remove and re-position the knob so that it is flat at the 12 o'clock position? I tried pulling on it just a little bit and it doesn't seem to budge. I don't want to break anything! Not a big deal but it just bugs me.