Poll: Cream - Are they better now?

grog

I Love EC and I have there 2005 concert on DVD and it sounds awesome, but nothing like the b&w farewell concert would have sounded on modern equipment (raw unlike anything we hear today). Sorry but Jack Bruce voice sound great but his arthritis was killing him. Clapton was good though.

Sorry ....

i can't forgive Crapton for the endless Drivel he has poured out for years ..

starting with Delaney & Bonnie, continuing thru the radio-play oriented crud we recently see

Amen brother, how many BB King inspired CD's can you put out? Behind The Sun, Money and Cigarettes, what were they? I've never been a Clapton fan, I guess I just don't get it.

TRon--check out Clapton's Crossroads DVD--its very good, and he plays alot of diverse, great licks-- with alot of different artists--

Other than that, I agree--

His studio albums just don't make it-- he tries too hard to be bluesy, tries too hard to be commercial, he tries too hard to sing soulful, he tries too hard --

he doesn't write much of his own stuff--

So, darn it if this DVD doesn't surprise the heck out of you-- its very good---

TRon--check out Clapton's Crossroads DVD--its very good, and he plays alot of diverse, great licks-- with alot of different artists--

Other than that, I agree--

His studio albums just don't make it-- he tries too hard to be bluesy, tries too hard to be commercial, he tries too hard to sing soulful, he tries too hard --

he doesn't write much of his own stuff--

So, darn it if this DVD doesn't surprise the heck out of you-- its very good---

Clapton just never did it for me, I like Blind Faith but I think thats a function of Steve Winwood, who I REALLY like.Traffic rules!!!

I agree Clapton seems to work at being a "blues guy". Muddy Water oozed blues, as does Johnny Winters. and he ruined Layla, that slow acoustic version makes me ...well never mind. Duane Allman is rolling in his grave over that one.

I agree!

Cream was his highpoint for me - and I do enjoy Blind Faith (hard not to like "Can't Find My Way Home" EDIT: AND "Presence of the Lord"!! Thanx TXRon&Trish) - although the extended reissue does show that they were running on 'near empty'! And Derek & the Dominoes was primarily Bobby Whitlock! And I'll take Dwayne's all too short catalog over Clapton's entire career anyday...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to trash him. But there are just so many better than him, and I have just never understood the extreme hype associated with him... And as far as the Brits and the "Clapton is God" nonsense!...well...

{If that is true, then Twain's "I sometimes think that God somewhat overestimated his abilities when he created Man" is absolutely correct![:P]

Of course it doesn't take Clapton to validate that thought for me![:D] }

"Can't find my way Home" should be on every greatest hits compilation there is. Okay, maybe thats overboard but I agree, a great song, as is "Presence of the Lord" heck the whole LP is just plain good. I have a boot of theirs that is pretty amazing.

There are sooo many guitarists out there that bury Clapton (IMO)

in no particular order:

Johnny Winter

Robin trower

Richie Blackmore (see his recent acoustic stuff[:D])

Leslie West

Steve Hackett

Jimi Hendrix

Albert King

I could go on