Electro-Voice-EV-Corner-Horns-Georgian-Patrician

travisc

Patrician you say?

For a Halloween treat I'll again repeat my PWK Patrician anecdote.

The one and only time I met and spoke with PWK we were discussing his disappointment with licensing Klipsch's patents to other manufacturers, e.g., Electro-Voice.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Suddenly, he shifted the topic to the relative merits of various malt whiskeys. Then, just as suddenly, he asked me, "Do you know what a Patrician is?" Before I could reply that it is an Electro-Voice speaker he said, "A Patrician is someone who steps out of the shower to take a leak."

Meeting and speaking with him was unforgettable. I never met anyone else like him.

It was sometime in the mid-70s. The Stereo Shoppe in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />East Lansing, Michigan put on a clinic at a convention center in Lansing, Michigan. Klipsch had a 3 channel setup with Khorns and a Belle. PWK spoke and demonstrated the 3 channel system.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Following the program, we were talking in the hall. In rapid fire succession the topics included minimum wage, whiskey, kit speakers in general, Speakerlab speakers, in particular, and the discussion previously quoted.

He was surprisingly diplomatic regarding my confession that I used four Speakerlab SKhorns in a mobile DJ business. He clearly indicated that he felt Speakerlab SKhorns were poor imitations. Nevertheless, he also expressed the opinion that it was better that knockoffs were subjected to the abuses of constant relocation, 600 watts of SS power and junior high schoolers.

Prior to the Patrician comment he had expressed the opinion that licensing was a disappointment as he disliked having his name associated with what he felt were inferior products of spotty quality and over which he had no control. He was forceful, opinionated, and had a wicked sense of humor, but he did not come across as pompous or overbearing. Even so, I wouldnt have wanted him angry with me.

I was impressed with his apparently genuine interest in discussing, yet again, things audio with a young whipper snapper.

On a more serious note, it's my understanding that, even with 18" drivers, the EV/Klipsch folded horns don't go substantially, if any, lower. To get lower frequencies out of a Khorn type folded horn, the size of the horn would have to be MUCH larger than the standard Khorn.

It's a non-linear relationship, similar to the relationship between power and volume. To double volume it typically takes approximately ten times the power. Marginal increases in power produce very little increase in volume. Similarly, marginal increases in woofer size (15" to 18") and small increases in the size of the bass bin/horn might produce more efficiency or better dynamics, but its not going to produce lower bass.

These are interesting, but I don't think they're Patricians. The earlier Pats (I-IV) had 18" woofers in a Klipsch type folded horn. The ones I had seemed to have bass that went on for days, but since I didn't have K-horns to compare at the time, it's hard to say. The later Pats (600 and 800) have a 30" (!) woofer in a simpler cabinet and those do go perceptibly deeper. They don't handle much power, though, their size notwithstanding and generally people feel the Klipsch is faster and mostly better sounding.

I've never seen a Pat, (or Georgian, for that matter) with that kind of access plate. It looks like they may have spent some time on the road in a p.a. system.

The right woofer for these horns is a "15WK." The "K" is usually small and stamped on the metal plate after the "15W." The "K" means a 3.2 ohm voice coil, which is what the horn needs - the horn loading raises the resistance to match up with the other drivers.