Bringing KG 4's Back to Life

I have an old pair of KG4's that I haven't used for years. I'd like to bring them back into service but have a few problems. Actually they are as follows. KG 4 FB RV S/N 8866708(if it helps)

1. Black stain(orig) has been scratched up over the years as a result of neglect and moving a few times. Can I purchase a similiar stain and redo or touch up them?

2. Last time they worked my psychoticly clean wife was vacuuming and sent the vacuum into the terminals on the back, jarred the connections loose and subsequently arced the speaker wire causing everything to blow. Where can I purchase replacement speakers? Last time I ordered from Klipsch the sent me a mid that was just too large for the hole in the speaker box.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't know if Klipsch offers touch up stains. I've used some walnut type touch up by Minwax on other speakers. It is like a magic marker. Again, I don't know if Minwax makes it in black.

If I was in your sitution I'd touch any scratches in on black stained wood with a black Sharpie. My technique would be to "paint" over the scratch, and then quickly wipe off excess, i.e., the Sharpie dye on the good surface, with a paper towel.

It is a bit surprizing to hear the drivers or cross over were damaged by the mechanical mishap. I'd think the most likely thing to fail if there was arcing is the output stages of the amp.

It might be worth your while to check.

Regards,

Gil

Scott,

I got the following information from Klipsch tech support in the last few days regarding stain color for KSP300's.May not be

the same for your KG4's, but here it is:

"Lilly stain w/30 sheen lacquer coat".

If I find anything else on the stain I'll let

you know.

Are we talking about black stain, or more likely black lacquer? I refinished a single side (the top) of a black lacquered Forte II with great results. Finding black spray lacquer with the proper sheen was impossible. After going through about 5 different black spray paints, I found the Rust-oluem Outdoor Decor Satin (Black #7777) Protective Enamel is almost a perfect match. I removed the original finish from the top using acetone, but acetone literally melts lacquer, so it is not a job for the meek or careless. Four or five light coats, with a 400 grit wet sand BEFORE the final coat will produce the desired results. Obtaining a good, even, spray painting job is an ART, and requires practice and PATIENCE (between coats). Too much paint, and the wood grain will start to be lost and it will not match the texture of the original finish. The 'sheen' is damn near perfect and can only be detected when the speaker is OUTSIDE in bright sunlight; and even then only in direct comparison to an original finished side.

Scott,

Evidently jerohm is right.Got an e-mail today from Trey @ Klipsch in regards to my question about refinishing some mahogany

KSP300's.His reply was " you can refinish the

cabinets black, but you will have to give them a bath with acetone after sanding if you

want the paint to stick ".Hope this helps.

Thanks for the post jerohm.You too Trey.

Keith