Screen Cleaning Options

BiggerIsBetter

I just completed a move and my dalite screen is in BAD shape. At the old place, the wife did a lot of indoor deep frying around 15 feet from the screen. I never thought anything of it. When I took the screen down it was very sticky. I thought this was odd but we were in an extreme hurry so I folded it gently and put it with my personal stuff to move. After being folded for a few day I tried to put it back on the frame. It was difficult to get apart and was clearly "sticking together." I think the oil accumulation was the main factor. After getting it on the frame, there was large areas that look like water spots.

I tried to clean gently with a sponge and dish soap and water. It seemed to remove some of the oil. Then, I hooked up my projector and it looks terrible. Several large areas of water spot looking areas. It is still sticky to the touch.

Then, I tried to clean a small area again using a wet paper towel and warmer water and a bit more pressure. When it dried the screen had lost some of shine and was less (but still) sticky. I'm not sure if I went too far with the pressure or not enough and did not get all the oil off. All that I have read says soap and water only.

The screen is a da-mat (I think) and is around 5 years old. Any thoughts on how I might save this screen? Thanks!

I called da-lite and the very helpful reps gave me some suggestions, THAT WORKED!!!

The first option is simple green. Spray on full strength and gently wipe off in a vertical movement (no circles) with a clean non-abrasive cloth. Use as many clean cloths as necessary. Repeat, if necessary (I needed to). Though he stated it as optional, I then used a cloth with warm water in the same manner and dried gently with another clean cloth. I had to go over the entire screen 3 times with water in order to remove all of the simple green residue.

The results, were fantastic. I really thought the screen was a through away and now it looks almost as good as new. Again, the soap and water that I tried first did very little.

The next option, if this does not work would be denatured alcohol (I was surprised to hear that). I did not need to go past the simple green option so I can't comment on this.

I mentioned orange cleaner, which he was strongly against using...dries it out.

He mentioned that the likely cause was more humidity than oil. If you a screen that is sticky to the touch you may also have a problem brewing.