Dream Theater - Live at Budokan

DrWho

So...on a recent shopping spree with colter last week we scored well

with the Roxy Music and sadly was the first thing we listened to.

Everything else that night sounded like crap in comparison...including

this live concert dvd of dream theater which we tried just afterwards.

Colter let me borrow it to demo on my system at home and I was supposed

to report back what I thought to see if he should really try to sit

down and listen to it. Now that I got the boring background story outta

the way I can talk about the concert [;)]

So where to begin? Visually the concert was rather cool and I'm sure it

would have been a lot of fun to be there live. I thought it was kinda

funny seeing a bunch of Japanese people dressed rather nicely, all

sitting down in their chairs (like they were going to the theatre). It

was a dramatic intro with the lights going out and all the cool stuff

(twas creative of the band to walk on stage with it dark and explode

with sound), but from then on it was the most mind numbing experience.

The guys in the band are certainly very skilled musicians....they're

working those instruments like no other, but the musicality just wasn't

there. Ok great, the guitar solo was probably fricken hard to play, but

it didn't have any emotion to it. I felt like I was back home mixing

for high school bands where everyone is just playing nonstop, going all

crazy style, and totally forgetting the music. And don't get me started

on the singing....the drummer had a way better voice.

Speaking of the drummer, I thought he was amazing....he had a double

setup happening and would hop around on thrones and even stand while

playing as he moved around. He was by far the most musical in the group

and even extended beyond the kit to do other percussion as well. And he

would do some pretty intense stick throws and twirls during some really

intense fills.

Recording quality was pretty bad too. There were only 4 guys on the

stage and 3/4 of the time nobody was singing....come on, couldn't be

that hard to mix! Oh well, definetly not on my recommendation list....

so does anyone wanna buy it? I'm sure Colter is going to be putting it up for sale [;)]

For those of you who are DT fans...is this the typical DT sound? I

remember them being totally different based on the stuff I've heard in

the past. Even the singing in the past was infinetly better.....they

must be another one of those good in the studio bands (or should I say

one of those bands that has a great engineer in the studio) [;)]

So I'm going back to colter's this weekend and I'm dying to here Roxy

again....to be honest, roxy isn't quite my cup of tea but the music was

soooo good that it just sucks you in anyway! now that's what I'm

talking about

Interesting reactions, Mike. I've never seen DT in concert, nor have I watched one of their "live DVD's." So on that front, I cannot comment.

I know you love Nightwish (so do I!!!), and interestingly enough, DT is categorized in the same genre: "progressive metal." Also, from your other posts, it's hella clear to me you and I have very, VERY damn similar tastes in music. You appreciate "adult"music as much as straight-up headbanging, hair-flinging, mosh-pit-until-your-clothes-rip-and-your-mouth-bleeds-cuts. Just like me...

So that's why your reacition is somewhat jarring to me. I ask you, have you listened, cover-to-cover, to one of DT's albums? It doesn't really matter if it's one of their first or one of their latest, all are exemplary, amazing, and mind-blowing. "Images and Worlds" to "Scenes From A Memory," from "Train of Thought" to "Octavarium,"From your post, it seems to me as if watching this DVD was the FIRST time you've ever experienced DT. If so, then ah so des ne... (meaning "I see, young grasshopper" in Japanese...)

You've got to listen to DT on CD first. When you finally understand, appreciate, and connect with their music (I'm quite amazing you felt they displayed no "soul..."), I think you'd realize just what musical genuis' they are...

Soul, and all... =)

Nicholtl,

I had never heard DT before I read the recomidations on this forum. I have "Octavarium" and "Image and worlds". I really enjoy "Octavarium" and it gets mixed reviews here, where "Image and Worlds" gets rave reviews here and I think some of it sound like not everyone is playing the same song. On some tracks I think the drummer looses track and starts skipping beats (just doesn't seem to go with the flow of the song).

I think there lirics are very good and over all I enjoy their music. I have not seen this DVD but if its anything like "Image and Worlds" I can only see it being worse live.

Just my $0.02

Steve

I sent Mike DrWho home with this DVD in order to not color his opinions of it any further. After watching the Roxy DVD recommended by Grog, it did horribly pale by comparison. I have and enjoy DT's CD with all the classic rock medley's on it (Zep, Elton, Purple), so really dig their sound and musicality.

However, dramatic as this DVD is, it points out one horrible omission in their musical training, that is heart and soul. To me, this seems like all 'chops' and no meaning. True, they have fantastic technique and all masters of their instruments. That they could recreate and reinvigorate the sounds of classic rock artists atests to this fact. But insofar as writing ability and touching the heart of the listener, it just wasn't there for me.

So unless DrWho wants to keep this DVD, it's up for grabs. I know I've not given it high marks, but I know there's a lot of DT fans here on this Forum. I'll pay shipping if you'll take this off of my shelf for Best Buys price.

Then go out and get Roxy in London and prepare to be BLOWN AWAY.

Thanks

Michael

Of the DT I've heard in the past, this live album was so insanely different from what they do on the recordings...and yes, I would say they "suck" live...so many intonation and timing issues (heck, even the lights guys were off all the time).

I have heard one DT album front to back....the whole album was telling a story about someone dying and not realizing they were already dead or something. I never listen to the words and I don't know which album it was, but it was infinetly better than this concert dvd.

I have heard single tracks from other studio recordings (some from octavarium) and again they were on such a different level and I really like them. If anyone has heard of Burlap to Cashmere, I would describe the exact same difference....great musicality with the studio sound, but like a high school rock band on stage.

As a DT fan for the last 10 years one needs to see them live. After being at quite a few of their concerts they are one of the most technical bands I have ever seen. As a musician myself I can appreciate the work that goes into their music. They have had some mediocre albums in the past but Scenes, Octavarium and 6 Degrees were worthy of some of progs highest honors. Octavarium is platinum and is a study of how a band can use it's influence of Pink Floyd, Genesis, ELP and King Crimson to mold their song styles. Granted I am almost 50 but I appreciate the style of these musicians. Live, there is not another band that I have seen that can match their intensity or technical prowess when delivering material. And I have seen some of the best in jazz, classical, rock or whatever floats your boat. There are a lot of more popular bands that create user friendly tunes but this is not for your usual airplay on the radio. Which by the way usually is dribble over the airwaves now.