Sealing LS Doghouse?

DizRotus

I took a look at mine, and while the adhesive seems to have gone (or was always) gooey, the strip itself seems more substantial (denser) than the comperable 3/4"(w) x 5/16" (h) foam next to it in the photo (attached or embedded, not sure how it will post).

The cleanliness of the area between inner (doughouse mounted) and outer (square, on hatch) strips would seem to attest to the fact that there's little or no air moving around here.

Using the photo, does anyone assess this example as needing replacement?

post-29972-1381939363873_thumb.jpg

It's probably fine. From the looks of it, someone has already replaced the original seal that tends to dissolve over time.

While you're in there, check the four machine screws into T-nuts that secure each woofer. Make sure that they're all secure. I supplemented those four with four wood screws (the woofers have eight mounting holes).

You should also refresh the crossovers with new capacitors if that hasn't been done already.

The following are links to old threads that might be of interest. The first linked thread contains links to other related threads.

Ported La Scalas

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/761099.aspx

Four abused Lascalas need a good home - sold

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/616881/ShowPost.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the follow up DizRotus.

I did check to ensure the woofer was mounted solidly, but I did not tightness-check the screws. Good idea.

It may have been my imagination but it seemed to get a little tighter after resealing it though.

Not that I was looking for a change, it just presented itself. Perhaps it was repositioning the cab, but it went back in the same general spot (within a few inches). When I do the other one I will listen more intently before/after.

This may also have been related somehow (coupling/discoupling/spiking wise) to the fact that I tightened the rubber feet as well. Some were noticably loose.

I replaced all the screws in the hatch as well. I think #10 1.25" Machine screws (crimson bag) from Home Depot. I might reccomend #8 in 1.25" length, but to do it again I would have gone to 1.5" I think.

I'm already addressing the xovers in a few ways. (ALK ES, Active) and may roll my own shortly.