Dynaco PAS 3

Dylanl

Anyone have any experience with this preamp? I have a pair of PAM 1s but I am having a heck of a time trying matching them ( Hiss also drives me crazy). The PAM 1s are not set up for stereo. I think the PAS 2 & 3 were Dynaco's 1st shot at a stereo tube pre. The 3 has a nicer faceplate but I think that is all the difference between the 2.

Just wondering how the PAS3 would sound with a pair of Stock MKIIIs?

Pas 3's are a great way too dive into vintage rebuilding. It will never the the king of sound qualtiy but still fun and fairly cheap way to play around with the hobby. I usually talk people out of having me do serious work too them beyond just getting them working up to snuff simply because they seem to have such a limited worth in the resale market that it just doesn't warrant major reworking cost involved. But if you do it yourself there are many basically free improvements that can be done. In the end they sound descent but will never be a giant killer like the Mark III's are capable of.

Craig

I don't beleive you can do better for the money. I must have about 6 of them. Properly rebuilt, with working tubes, there shouldn't be any "hiss" to speak of. They are very easy to work on. Endless tweaks available. Like Craig said, I wouldn't go too wild spending a lot of money on upgrades since you could easily wind up with an $800 PAS. If you keep it close to stock, you can resell it if you don't like it. I think they're a bargain, probably why I have so many of them. I can't resist a bargain!!!!

The only difference between the 2 and 3 was the face plate/knobs. There is also a 3X which allowed the tone controls to be removed from the circuit if rotated to the 12 o'clock position.

PS. I do have one PAS3X that is still in it's original, unopened box that was definitley no bargain.

One thing we learn in audio is that price doesnt also reflect performance, especially with vintage equipment. I have a PAS pre-amplifier, although it is the newer series 2 version, from a decade ago. Which I love. I have not seriously auditioned, in my own home, with my own equipment, any other pre-amplifiers. But I do expect to hear Juicy Music Merlin as soon as I get my big ole horns set-up.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

For the $125 I saw PAS pre-amplifiers going for on eBay, I would say they are definitely worth purchasing, spending that amount again to have NOSvalues bring them up to spec. Less than $500 into a good tube pre-amplifier and you got yourself a bargain. Any more than though and you are in shooting distance of the Merlin [H]